• If you are trying to reset your account password then don't forget to check spam folder in your mailbox. Also Mark it as "not spam" or you won't be able to click on the link.

Incest Mummy's Situation

🔥 Read Next Hot Story →
Discover more exclusive stories

AuthorKong

Monster Knight
23
0
2
I still hear the cooker.

That is the thing about our house. Even when I am on the tenth floor of the bank with a glass wall behind me and Pune burning white outside, some part of me is still in Aundh, listening for the second whistle. It means she is there. It means the kitchen is hers. It means the day has a centre.

My name is Arun, and I have spent twenty-seven years pretending I do not notice the centre.

Thursday began like every other Thursday that wants to trick you. Light through the mango leaves. Dust on the compound wall. Father’s Innova already coughing in the porch because Sanjay Deshpande does not believe a business opens itself. I was in the upstairs bathroom with foam on my jaw and the radio in the hall playing some old Lata song Mother still hums without knowing she is humming.

Downstairs, Sonam swore at her hair.

I stood in the passage a moment longer than a brother should and watched her in the hallway mirror. Twenty-three. MBA. Wine kurti she had no business filling like that. The cloth held her the way cloth holds a secret — the high, full weight of her chest, the dip of her waist, the sudden honest flare of her hips. Her hair was still open, a black river down her back, and when she lifted both arms to tie it the kurti climbed and I saw the warm line of her stomach, soft, living, and I looked away the way I have trained myself to look away since she stopped being a child and became this.

“Don’t start,” she said, without turning.

“I didn’t—”

“You always don’t.” She smiled at herself, then at my reflection, and for a second she was only my sister again, the girl who used to steal my cricket bat. Then she pulled the kurti down and the woman came back.

In the kitchen, Mother.

Aparna.

I do not know when I started using her name in my head. Aai is for the voice. Aparna is for the rest of her — the woman the house keeps trying to reduce to tea and tiffins and a school ID.

She stood at the stove in a cotton saree the colour of wet earth after a small rain. Forty-seven. Five-four. Honey skin that holds light instead of bouncing it. The bun was already in, two silver threads she would not pull, as if she had made a private treaty with time. When she turned with the kadhai, the pallu slipped a finger’s width and I saw the blouse do its work — the heavy, still-high shape of her breasts, the tight draw of the waist, the long curve down to hips that have no right to look like that after two children and twenty years of this house. She used to dance. I remember the society hall, the ghungroo in a plastic box, the way her body knew a beat before the music did. She never stopped having that body. She only stopped showing the city. At home the saree is a kind of lie and a kind of truth together. It covers her. It also follows her.

She saw me seeing.

Mothers always do.

“Breakfast is getting cold,” she said, and her voice was ordinary, which is how she hides a thousand things.

Father was already at the table. Sixty-seven. Oil in the grey hair. Gold ring. The belly of a man who has eaten other men’s delays. He tore a chapati with both hands like the chapati had insulted him.

“Bank?” he asked, which is his way of saying good morning to me.

“Bank,” I said.

Poha. Limbu. The smell that belongs to this house the way the tulsi belongs to the courtyard. Sonam wanted eggs. Mother made them. No lecture. That should have told me something was already loose in the day — she only skips the lecture when her mind is elsewhere.

I was late. I always am, in my head. She touched my sleeve as I passed, fingers warm from the kadhai, a habit from a version of me that no longer exists.

“Eat there also,” she said. “Not only coffee.”

I almost told her I love her. I did not. In our family we say it with tiffins and with silence and with showing up when a phone rings.

The phone rang at 11:27.

I was listening to a man with a factory and a fear of rain. My mobile lit with Papa’s name, and the room tilted a degree. Sanjay Deshpande does not call his son in a meeting for gossip.

“Your mother fell.”

Three words. Flat. The voice he uses for bounced cheques.

“Kitchen. Maid found her. Wrist. Hip. I am coming. You also leave.”

I do not remember standing. I remember the client’s mouth still moving. I remember the lift taking too long. I remember SB Road like a throat I could not swallow. Aundh came up in pieces — the signal near the university, the turn, the mango tree, the open gate, Lata’s face the colour of bad news.

And then her.

She was on the sofa in the same saree, as if the morning had not been allowed to change clothes. The pallu had slipped off her left shoulder. The bun was coming apart. A kitchen towel full of ice was pressed to her wrist by a hand that was trying not to shake. The fall had dragged the cotton tight across her hip. I saw the bruise already thinking about becoming a bruise — that first dark bloom under skin I have known my entire life and never been allowed to think of as skin.

Something in my chest went down a staircase without touching the steps.

“I slipped,” she said, almost angry. “The floor was wet. I told her—”

“Aai.”

I sat on my knees in front of the sofa like a boy. I have not sat like that since I was twelve. Up close she smelled of turmeric and her soap and the faint metal of fear. A strand of hair was stuck to her temple. Without asking I lifted it back. Her eyes came to mine, and for one naked second there was no teacher, no wife, no mother of two — only Aparna, forty-seven, on her own sofa, horrified that her body had betrayed the story she tells it every morning.

“Don’t look like that,” she whispered. “I am fine.”

She was not fine. The gown of the saree had ridden. I could see the shape of her thigh, the heavy grace of it, the place where woman meets bone, and I hated myself for seeing it now, like this, when she was hurt. Desire is a filthy word for what moved in me. It was not only that. It was terror. It was the child in me standing in a kitchen that had suddenly become capable of taking her. It was the man in me looking at the body that made me and finding it still — God help me — beautiful, and breakable in the same breath.

Sonam burst in with her lanyard slapping her chest, breath gone, and the three of us became a family again because someone had to drive.

The hospital was all white light and the smell of spirit. They took her away on a chair she refused with her mouth and accepted with her legs. I stood in the corridor with Father. He stared at the vending machine as if it had answers. His hands were empty. I had never seen his hands empty.

“She is forty-seven,” he said, to no one. “How does a woman fall in her own house.”

I did not tell him the truth, which was: because we let the house believe she was unbreakable.

X-ray. Wait. Sonam’s head on my shoulder for six minutes, her hair in my mouth, the young smell of her shampoo, the press of her chest against my arm that I did not move away from because she was shaking. Then the doctor, young, kind, cruel in the way truth is cruel.

He spoke to Mother as if she were a person, which in hospitals is a kind of respect.

“Mrs Deshpande. Bones are all right. Muscles are not. You teach, you cook, you climb. That is not strength. That is habit. A wet tile should not put you down. You need resistance. Real. Supervised. Legs, core, hands. Otherwise next time I will not be this pleasant.”

He wrote gym the way other men write prayer.

In the Innova nobody spoke until the signal near our lane. Father said treadmill. Mother said she would not run in her hall like an animal. Sonam said, from the back, voice small and fierce,

“Aai. Gym. Please. I can’t— I can’t come home and see you on the floor again.”

That landed. I heard it land in Mother’s silence.

At home she changed.

I should not have been in the passage. I was. The bedroom door was not fully closed. I saw the saree come off her shoulder, the blouse, the long line of her back, the petticoat sliding, and then the pale blue house gown falling over her like water. The cloth found her at once — the weight of her breasts, the cinch she still has, the hip that now carried a secret colour. She stood a moment with her good hand on the cupboard, head down, breathing like someone learning the size of her own life.

When she came out I had arranged my face.

I sat across from her. The clock in the hall made its cheap little sound. Afternoon light made her look younger and older at once.

“There is Vivek’s place,” I said, and my voice surprised me by being steady.

Vivek. The name is a door in this family. Same society. Same Holi. Same steel boxes of pickle between his mother and mine. He is thirty and built like a decision. Forge Fitness sits between Aundh and Baner, two floors of honest iron, a ladies’ hour when the city is still wiping its eyes. He calls her Atya. He has carried Sonam on his shoulders at Ganpati. He has drunk tea in this exact hall with his chappals under this exact sofa.

“You know him,” I said. “You know they will not laugh. He will take you himself. Morning. Track pant. Long shirt. No one from school. I will drop you the first week.”

I did not say: I cannot stand the thought of a stranger’s hands correcting your back. I did not say: if someone has to see you breathe hard, let it be a house that already loves you. I did not say: when you fell, I understood that I have been looking at you my whole life and I am not finished.

Father made the sound in his throat that is almost a yes.

Sonam wiped her nose with the heel of her hand, ugly and lovely.

“His gym is clean, Aai. I checked once with a friend. I can come with you.”

Mother looked at her wrapped wrist. Then at Sonam’s face. Then at me. The gown had slipped from one shoulder again. She pulled it up, and the movement lifted her, and I felt that old, forbidden heat under the fear, the heat of a son who has eyes, who lives in a house with two women the city would stop to watch, who has no clean language for any of it.

“I will not wear those small clothes,” she said.

“You don’t have to.”

“And if it smells—”

“It doesn’t.”

She was quiet so long I heard my own blood.

“Call him.”

That was the acceptance. In this house it does not come with speeches. It comes like that. Two words. A law.

I went to the kitchen to call so she would not hear my voice shake. Vivek picked up as if he had been standing next to the phone.

“Arun.”

“Atya fell,” I said, and then I said the rest, and when I said her name his breath changed.

“Send her tomorrow. Six forty-five. I will be at the door. Tell her I remember the dancing. I will not treat her like she is made of glass. I will treat her like she is made of something that can get stronger.”

When I came back she had already put the doctor’s paper under the fridge magnet. Decisions in our family live there, between the electricity bill and a faded photograph of Sonam in the tenth standard.

“Tell him,” she said, looking at the window, not at me, “I am not a beginner in everything.”

“I told him.”

She nodded.

Night came the way it comes in Aundh in September — slow, with insects, with a TV in some other house. Sonam took the ice into the bedroom and I heard them speaking in the low voices women use when men are not invited. Father watched the news as if the news could explain a wet tile. I sat in the hall with my phone dark in my hand and let the day catch up with me.

I thought of her on the floor before Lata found her. Alone. The cooker still warm. The saree twisted. The pride wounded worse than the wrist. I thought of Sonam’s face in the hospital corridor. I thought of Vivek’s gym at 6:45, the smell of rubber, the mirrors that do not know how to be kind.

I thought of my mother’s body the way a man is not supposed to think of it — not as sin, not even as hunger exactly, but as a fact that has lived beside my life, honey and cloth and breath, and today that fact had hit granite and I had felt it in my own hip.

She walked to her room at last. Slower. Fingers on the wall. The pale gown clinging where the bruise was and clinging where there was no bruise at all, only Aparna, only the woman who made this house possible. At the door she paused, as if the dark kitchen behind her had become a person.

She did not look at me.

She did not have to.

Tomorrow I would wake before the first whistle. I would drive her through a thin Aundh morning. I would watch her walk into Forge Fitness with her hair tied and her mouth set and her body — that dancing, classy, still-dangerous body — about to be asked to become something it had forgotten how to be.

And I would stand there like a son.

And I would stand there like a man who had seen too much in one afternoon to ever go back to not seeing.

We brought her home in the late afternoon like a piece of glass the house had borrowed and was not sure how to keep.

Father drove as if the road itself might slip. Sonam sat behind with the prescription bag in her lap, counting tablets with her eyes. I sat in front and watched the mango tree come back, the gate, the tulsi, the ordinary life that had no idea it had been interrupted. Mother did not speak until the engine died.

“I can walk,” she said.

She walked. Slowly. The hip told the truth the mouth refused. Lata had already dried the kitchen floor three times, as if water were an enemy now. The house smelled of Dettol and poha from a breakfast that had happened in another century.

The first evening was a quiet that did not know where to sit. She would not lie down like a patient. She sat on the sofa with her wrist elevated on a cushion Sonam kept adjusting, the pale gown modest and merciless at once. Every time she shifted, the cloth remembered her — the heavy chest, the waist, the hip that now wore a dark flower under cotton. I brought her water and hated how carefully I did not look, and hated more how carefully I did.

“Stop hovering,” she said, but her voice had no blade in it. Only fatigue. “I fell. I did not die.”

“You fell in our house,” I said.

That was the sentence that lived with me for eleven days.

Eleven days is a long time to watch a woman you love learn the size of a bruise.

The hip went from angry red to a purple that looked like someone had pressed a whole night against her. Then yellow. Then the slow fading that feels like an apology. The wrist stayed wrapped. Physiotherapy twice. She hated the therapist’s cheerfulness and obeyed her anyway, jaw set, eyes on the wall. In the mornings I heard her breathe through the small movements — rotate, hold, release — and I stood in the passage like a thief, listening to my mother negotiate with her own body.

Vivek came on the third evening.

He did not come like a guest. He came like a person the house already had a plate for. I opened the gate and there he was — thirty, black T-shirt, the kind of shoulders that make a doorway look narrower, a paper bag of something that would turn out to be dates and a tub of something that would turn out to be protein he would not force on her. He left his chappals in the same place he has left them since we were nine.

“Atya,” he said, and the word in his mouth was not gym. It was childhood.

She tried to get up. He raised a hand.

“If you stand for me I will go back.”

She sat. A small, unwilling smile. The first one since the tiles.

Sonam brought tea without being asked. Father came out of the bedroom in his home vest and suddenly looked less like a businessman and more like a man whose house had been entered by another son. They talked about the shop, about the rain, about Vivek’s father who still refuses spectacles. Ordinary things. That is how our families love each other — by refusing drama until drama is the only room left.

I watched him watch her.

Not the way boys watch. The way a man watches a woman he has been told all his life is aunt, and then one afternoon the doctor writes gym on a paper and the word aunt becomes too small. He looked at the wrapped wrist. He looked at the way she held her spine away from the sofa’s back because the hip still spoke. He did not look at the gown the way I look at the gown. He looked adjacent to it, which is worse, because it means he is trying.

“When the doctor says walk without fear,” he told her, stirring tea he did not need to stir, “you come. Not before. I don’t want a hero. I want you standing in month three.”

“I used to dance,” she said, and there it was, the pride, thin and burning.

“I know,” he said. “I was the boy sitting on the society steps eating your poha and watching the hall door. I remember.”

Something moved across her face that she did not give a name. Sonam looked down at her cup. Father found the remote very interesting. I felt heat under my ribs that was not only jealousy and not only protection. It was the knowledge that another man now held a piece of her recovery in his hands, and those hands were familiar, and that familiarity was a kind of intimacy the house had not planned for.

He came again on the sixth day. And the ninth. Sometimes fifteen minutes. Once almost an hour, when Father started telling the story of the first shop and forgot the time. Vivek listened as if ledgers were scripture. When Mother laughed — a real laugh, short, surprised at itself — I saw his mouth answer before he could stop it.

At the gate, the ninth night, he caught my shoulder.

“She is proud,” he said quietly. “Don’t let the pride become a delay. When she can climb the stairs without holding the rail, we start. Light. I mean light, Arun. If she comes in like she has something to prove, I will send her home.”

“She will come in like that,” I said.

He almost smiled.

“Then I will be ready.”

On the eleventh morning the wrap came off for good.

The physiotherapist turned her wrist under the tube-light, made her close a fist, made her lift a one-litre bottle as if it were a verdict. The hip was only a shadow now, a memory under the petticoat. Mother stood in the clinic without holding the chair and I felt my throat do a stupid thing.

“Cleared for walking, stairs, supervised training,” the woman said. “No heroics. If it speaks, you listen.”

In the car Mother looked at her own hand as if it had been returned to her from a lost-and-found.

“I need clothes,” she said.

Not I want. Need. The word of a woman who has decided.

Father, who understands shops better than feelings, said, “We’ll go today.”

Sonam said, “Westside and that sports place in the mall. Not the cheap one. Aai, if you buy those shiny nylon things I will not come with you.”

Mother looked at her daughter and there was a flicker of the old dancing vanity, buried under teacher and wife and bruise.

“I am not wearing shiny.”

We went in the afternoon like a family performing a ritual the city did not have a name for.

Phoenix. The cold air. The floors that shine as if no one has ever fallen anywhere. Father walked a half-step behind, suspicious of prices and of the entire concept of “athleisure.” Sonam took Mother’s good arm with a tenderness that made my chest hurt. I carried nothing and felt like I was carrying everything.

The sports store was a hall of mirrors and mannequins with bodies that had never cooked for four people. Bright racks. Neon. Girls Sonam’s age holding crop tops up to themselves as if cloth were a dare. Mother stopped just inside the door.

I saw it happen. The comparison. The brief, brutal maths a beautiful woman does in a place designed to make her feel late.

“This is not for me,” she said.

“It is exactly for you,” Sonam said, already moving, already fierce. “Come.”

We found the women’s section the way you find a quiet room in a loud house. Black. Navy. Grey. Long T-shirts. Leggings that promised coverage and then, when Sonam held them up, promised nothing of the sort. Mother touched a pair of navy tights with two fingers, as if the fabric might confess.

“These will show everything,” she murmured.

Sonam, ruthless with love, said, “Aai. You have a waist. You have a shape. The gym is going to see a shape anyway. Better it sees a shape you chose.”

Father had fled to the shoes and was turning a box over as if the box had wronged him.

I stood near the rack and pretended to read a size chart.

She took three things into the trial room. Sonam went with her. The curtain closed. I heard the rustle of cotton leaving her, the small intake of breath that is a woman meeting her own reflection after eleven days of being only a patient. I heard Sonam say, very softly,

“Turn.”

Silence.

Then Sonam, even softer: “Aai.”

Not shock. Not pity. The word you use when something is more than you were ready to say.

The curtain moved. Not fully open. A gap Sonam forgot, or did not forget.

She was standing sideways to the mirror in navy tights and a long charcoal T-shirt that was not long enough to be a lie. The tights held her the way the house gown had always wanted to — the full, firm thighs, the heavy curve of hip, the still-cinched waist, the rise of her seat. The shirt clung across her breasts and then dropped, and when she lifted her arms to judge the sleeve, the cloth climbed and I saw the line of her stomach, soft, living, a woman’s stomach, not a girl’s, and it went through me like a warm blade. The bruise was only a ghost on the outer hip. The rest of her was Aparna. Dancing. Classy. Fit in the way a body is fit when it has refused to surrender and then been forced to remember it is flesh.

She saw me in the mirror.

For one second neither of us performed the family.

Then she pulled the shirt down, and Sonam laughed too loudly, and the curtain became a curtain again.

“We’ll take these,” Mother said from inside, voice steady, cheeks I could not see doing whatever cheeks do when a son has looked.

They bought two pairs of tights. Three long T-shirts. A navy jacket she could hide inside. Shoes Father insisted on paying for after arguing with the salesman about arch support as if arch support were hardware. Sonam added a thin headband and Mother pretended to protest and did not put it back.

At the billing counter her hand brushed mine when she passed the hanger. Warm. Dry. A little afraid.

“Don’t tell Vivek I bought the tight ones,” she said, so only I would hear.

“He will see them,” I said.

She looked at the bag as if the bag were a door.

“Then he will see them.”

Vivek came that same night, as if the house had sent for him without a phone.

He saw the bags near the sofa. He did not tease. He sat, accepted tea, asked about the wrist, asked about the stairs. Mother sat a little straighter than she had eleven days ago. The house gown again, but the body under it was no longer only injured. It was preparing.

“Tomorrow,” he said. “Six forty-five. I will wait at the glass door. Arun, you bring her. After that she can come with Sonam, or with the driver, or alone. First day I want a face she already knows at the door.”

“I will come,” Sonam said at once.

Mother looked at Vivek, and I saw her measure him the way she measures a classroom — for safety, for respect, for whether a man will see too much and whether he will know what to do with the seeing.

“You will not shout,” she said.

“I will not shout.”

“And you will not treat me like I am fifty-seven.”

His mouth moved. Almost a smile. Almost something else.

“I will treat you,” he said, “like Aparna Atya who used to dance and then ran a house and a school and forgot she had legs. That is all.”

After he left, the hall felt larger.

Sonam took the bags upstairs. Father went to wash his feet. Mother remained on the sofa with the new shoes on the floor in front of her, white and innocent and waiting.

I sat where I had sat the day she fell.

“Are you afraid?” I asked.

She thought about lying. I saw the lie arrive and leave.

“I am afraid of the mirror,” she said. “Not of the weights.”

I wanted to tell her the mirror should be afraid of her. I wanted to tell her that today in a trial room I had seen the woman the city is not allowed to see, and that I had felt proud and sick and fiercely alive, and that none of those feelings had a respectable name. I wanted to tell her that Vivek’s voice in this hall had changed the temperature of the family by one degree and I did not know yet if that degree was warmth or danger.

I said, “I will be outside the glass door.”

She nodded. Her hair was open for the night, black and silver, falling over the gown’s shoulder. She looked like a woman at the edge of a country she used to live in.

“Eleven days,” she said. “It felt longer.”
 

AuthorKong

Monster Knight
23
0
2
“It was longer.”

She stood. The hip obeyed. At the passage she stopped, the shopping bags rustling in Sonam’s room like a future.

“Arun.”

“Hn.”

“If I look foolish—”

“You won’t.”

She held my eyes the way she held them when I was seventeen and she knew I had lied about a test.

“You always look,” she said, very quietly. “At least tomorrow, look like a son.”

Then she went into her room, and the door shut with the softness of a woman who has decided to be seen, and is not yet sure by whom.

The first morning the house woke as if it were going to a wedding it did not trust.

Five-fifty. No cooker whistle. Only the bathroom tap and the soft sound of new shoes on the old tiles. I waited in the hall with the City’s keys in my fist and felt like a boy again, the night before an exam.

She came out in the navy tights and the charcoal shirt we had bought under fluorescent lights that had not prepared either of us. At home, in the yellow of our passage, the clothes became a fact. The tights held her thighs the way hands would, if hands were allowed. They drew the hip, the seat, the long line down to the new white shoes. The shirt was longer in the front than the back; when she took her jacket from the hook the cloth lifted and I saw the shape the trial-room mirror had already confessed. Hair in a braid. No bindi. A small gold earring she had forgotten to remove, as if some part of Aparna had refused to become only a body that trains.

She would not look at me.

“Don’t say I look strange.”

“You look like someone who is going,” I said.

Father stood at the bedroom door in his vest, silent, blessing the hour the only way he knows — by not stopping it. Sonam stumbled out, half-asleep, pressed a bottle of water into Mother’s hand, kissed the air near her cheek.

“If he shouts, come home. I’ll fight him.”

Mother almost smiled.

Aundh at 6:25 is a different city. Milklines. A man opening a florist. The sky the colour of weak tea. She sat in the passenger seat with her jacket zipped to the throat, knees together, the sports bag Sonam had packed upright between her feet like a child. I drove slower than the road asked. Her perfume was the same as always. Under it, new fabric and nerves.

“If I cannot do it—”

“Then we come back tomorrow.”

Forge Fitness sits in a commercial building that still smells of paint on some floors and of rubber on his. Glass door. Light already on. Vivek was there as promised, in black, a towel at his neck, the boy from the society steps grown into a man who owned the hour.

“Atya.”

Only that.

He did not hug her. He opened the door as if it were our house.

I did not go in the first morning. I told myself it was respect. It was also cowardice. I sat in the car with the window down and watched her walk into the glass, jacket still on, braid swinging, and I watched him fall into step half a pace off her shoulder, talking, hands visible, nothing hidden. The door closed. I saw shapes. Mirrors. A treadmill she refused at first, I learned later. A mat. Other women arriving in ones and twos — forties, fifties, one younger who taught somewhere and laughed too loudly.

Forty minutes.

When she came out the jacket was off and folded over her arm. The shirt had darkened in a V at the chest. A shine at her temple. The braid loosening. She looked startled by her own breathing.

Vivek stood behind her in the doorway.

“Same time tomorrow,” he said to me, as if I were the appointment. Then, to her, quieter: “You did not break. I told you.”

In the car she drank water like someone who had crossed a small country.

“He put his hand on my back,” she said, after two signals, staring at the road. “To show me the plank. I am not used to… that.”

The word that sat between us, large and unnamed.

“Did he ask?”

“He said, may I. I said yes. What else do you say when your stomach is shaking and a room full of women is watching.”

I drove. My jaw hurt from not answering.

She made friends the way she does everything — first with dignity, then with sudden warmth.

By the fourth morning there was a woman called Anjali who taught maths in Baner and wore the same navy as Mother, as if they had entered a quiet pact. A widow from Pashan named Smita who spoke little and spotted her on the light dumbbells. A girl of twenty-six, Rhea, who called her Aparna ma’am and then, one day, Aparna tai, and Mother did not correct it. They left the floor together sometimes, laughing about knees and husbands and the air-conditioning. I would see them in the glass while I waited, my mother among women, not a patient, not only mine.

Comfort did not come as a speech. It came as the jacket staying in the bag. It came as her opening the car door before I could. It came as the braid getting a little looser, a little less arranged for the world.

The awkwardness stayed in the body.

There was the morning she bent to tie a shoe in the parking and the shirt rode up and she caught my eye and pulled it down with a violence that had nothing to do with cold. There was the evening she came home and stood in front of the hall mirror without knowing I was on the stairs, turning sideways, placing a palm on her own waist as if to ask it a question. There was the day Vivek corrected her squat.

I had started coming in by then. Not every day. Some days. A son in the corner near the water dispenser, phone in his hand, watching.

She stood with a light bar across her shoulders. The tights made a truthful map of her. He spoke first — feet, knees, breath — and then he looked at me, a half-second, a man asking another man a permission that does not exist in any respectable language, and then he stepped in.

“May I.”

She nodded, eyes on the floor.

His hands found her hips the way a craftsman finds a joint. Not grabbing. Placing. The thumbs at the back, the fingers light at the sides, turning her a few degrees, setting the sit-back she did not know she had. I saw her breath catch. I saw the skin at her nape change colour. I saw her mouth press shut so that nothing unseemly would come out of a teacher’s face in a public room.

“There,” he said. “That is your hip. Not the knee. Again.”

He took his hands away as if they had burned and not burned.

She did the squat. The body remembered dance before it remembered shame. Anjali clapped once, softly. Mother came up flushed, eyes bright with effort and with something she would not name in front of her son.

In the car she was silent until our lane.

“He has to,” she said.

“I know.”

“It is not—” She stopped. Started again. “I am not a girl. It should not feel like… a thing.”

“And does it.”

She looked at the passing wall, the tulsi, the ordinary gate.

“Sometimes,” she said. “Then I remember he used to eat my poha with dirty Holi hands. Then it becomes all right. Then it becomes not all right again.”

That was the beginning of the other thing.

The phone.

It started with timings. Tomorrow 6:45 same. Then wrist ice after. Then a photograph of a plate — two chapatis, a pile of green, no rice — and a line: this, Atya. Not less. Protein in the afternoon also. She would stare at the screen at the dining table and Father would ask who, and she would say Vivek, as if Vivek were a weather report.

Then the chats grew a little longer in the holes of the day.

I know because I live in this house and houses are made of sounds. The particular vibration she has set for him. The way she takes the phone into the kitchen. The way she smiles at the tiles, then remembers herself, then types with her thumb like a woman learning a new script.

Sonam saw it first and said nothing, which is how Sonam says everything.

He built her the way he said he would.

Endurance first — the walk that became a walk with incline, the session that grew from forty minutes to fifty-five, the morning she did not ask me to slow the car because her legs were shaking. Diet next, which in our house was a small war. He did not ban her poha. He moved it. Eggs on training days. Less rice at night. Curd. A handful of nuts she began to carry in a steel box like a secret. Father grumbled that a man who sells memberships should not rule another man’s table. Mother put an extra spoon of ghee on Father’s plate and took it off her own, and the war ended without a treaty.

The look came last, and it came without asking anyone.

Three weeks. Then four. The face held the same honey. The body began to answer. The waist that had always been there became a waist you could see in a kurti at four in the afternoon. The arms lost a softness she had called comfort. The way she set her shoulders when she entered a room changed — not vanity, not yet, something more dangerous: the memory of being a woman who takes up space on purpose. One Sunday she wore an old saree for a cousin’s lunch and Sonam, in the kitchen, whispered to me, “Look at her, Arun. Really look,” and I did, and the pallu sat differently across a chest that training had lifted, and I had to go to the washbasin and run cold water on my wrists like a man with a fever.

Vivek had become, by then, what this family calls a good friend when it does not know what else to call a man.

He still said Atya. He still left chappals in the same place. He still asked Father about the shop. But the phone lived between them like a third person. Diet, sleep, a video of a stretch she was doing wrong, a voice note at 9:12 p.m. when the house was brushing its teeth — his voice low, the shoulder is hiking, Aparna tai, watch the clip, tomorrow we fix it. He had said tai once on the floor as a joke and the word had stayed in the messages like a warm stone.

She began to answer in the same weather.

Not girlish. Not improper. Worse. Easy.

I dropped her every morning that I could. Some days Sonam came too, in college clothes, sitting in the back, watching the two of them through the glass with an expression I could not read. Vivek would lift a hand to me from the floor — I have her — and I would sit in the car and feel the sentence in places sentences should not go.

There was another correction.

A row. She kept shrugging the right shoulder. He stood behind her. May I. The nod. His palm between her shoulder blades, flat, professional, and then the other hand at her elbow, guiding the pull. She was in the grey shirt that day. Sweat had made it honest. From where I stood I saw his mouth near her hair as he spoke, not touching, close enough that she would have felt the breath. Her eyes closed for half a second. Not pain. Not quite.

When he stepped back she laughed, too quickly, and asked Smita for water she did not need.

In the car I said, “You all right.”

She looked at her own hands.

“He is helping.”

“That is not what I asked.”

Aundh slid past. A school bus. A woman on a scooter with a child.

“I am forty-seven,” she said. “I have a husband. I have you. I have Sonam. A man can put his hand on my back to save my shoulder and it can still feel like a hand. Both things can be true. Do not make me choose a language, Arun. I do not have one.”

I parked. The engine ticked.

She did not get out at once. The braid had come a little undone. A curl stuck to her neck. She looked like the woman from the trial room and the woman from my childhood and a third woman I was only now meeting.

“He asked what I want to look like,” she said. “Not thin. He said that first. He said — strong enough that a floor cannot take me. And if the saree sits better, that is extra.”

“And you.”

She opened the door. The house waited, innocent.

“I said extra is also all right.”

She went inside with the bag on her good shoulder, new shoes dusty from honest work, phone already lighting in her palm with a name the house had decided to call friendship.

I sat in the car until the screen went dark.

Inside, the cooker would whistle soon. Father would ask if the rates at the shop had moved. Sonam would steal an egg from the plate that was now “training food.” Mother would answer Vivek under the table with her thumb, a small secret smile she still thought no one could see.

The gym had started.

She was becoming comfortable.

He was being helpful.

And the family, which has survived worse than a wet tile, had not yet found a name for the thing that had begun to live in the space between a correction and a text, between may I and good night, well done today.

I had a name.

I just did not have the right to say it.

Three months is a long time to watch a house change its breathing.

September’s wet tiles became December’s early dark. The mango tree went stingy with shade. In our kitchen the cooker still whistled, but later, because she had started leaving the house before the whistle, and the whistle had learned to wait for her return.

Aparna Deshpande at fifty-less-three did not become a different woman. She became more of the one she had been hiding inside the saree.

Health first, because that was the excuse the family was allowed to love. The wrist was only a story now. The hip did not speak on stairs. Her blood numbers, when we went back to the same doctor, made him sit back as if she had performed a trick. He said continue the way men say good. She said nothing. She only tied her braid a little tighter, as if numbers were another kind of mirror.

Work took the change without asking permission. She still left for school in a cotton saree, bindi, the teacher’s face. But the saree had less to argue with. The blouse sat on a back that had learned to hold itself. The pallu crossed a chest that training had lifted and separated from the old softness she used to call comfort. Girls in the staffroom began to say Aparna madam you are glowing in the mean-kind way women say it when they have noticed a waist. She came home with that sentence in her mouth and put it on the dining table like a fruit she was not sure we were allowed to eat.

Father saw. Of course he saw. Sanjay Deshpande sees ledgers and he sees his wife. He said, one Sunday, watching her set a plate, “You have become thin.”

“Not thin,” she said. “Held.”

He grunted, which in this marriage is a complicated blessing, and asked for a second poli.

Sonam saw more than she said. She started borrowing Mother’s jackets. She started standing next to her in the hall mirror without joking. Once I caught them from the stairs, Sonam’s fingers at Mother’s waist, measuring without a tape, both of them quiet, as if a number might fly away if it were spoken.

And I — I drove.

Not every day now. Some mornings Sonam took her. Some mornings the rickshaw. But enough days that the 6:25 Aundh road became a private weather between us. She talked more. About Anjali’s daughter. About Smita’s knee. About Rhea who had started calling her tai in front of everyone. She talked about work, about a boy in her class who could not sit still, and then, without changing her voice, she would mention him.

Vivek.

The name had stopped arriving like a guest. It arrived like weather.

Forge had become the other house. I knew its smell from the collar of her shirt when she sat in my car — rubber, metal, her soap, her sweat. I knew the corner of the mirror where she checked herself when she thought the floor was busy. I knew the mat she preferred, the dumbbells she no longer feared, the bar that had gone from a joke on her shoulders to a weight she could carry and still speak.

The touching changed the way rain changes — first a few drops you can pretend are nothing, then a season.

It was still may I. He never dropped that. The politeness was part of the heat. He would say it and she would nod, and the nod began to come faster, and then, one Thursday, the nod came before the question, and I saw him notice, and I saw him not smile.

A lunge. His hand at her hip to stop the knee from falling in. Longer than it needed. His palm knew her now. The tights had become a second skin; there was no cotton left to lie. I watched his thumb sit in the hollow beside her hipbone as he spoke into the space beside her ear. She stared at a point on the floor that did not exist. When he released her, the print of the touch stayed in the way she stood, as if the body were trying to keep a place warm.

A shoulder press. He stood behind. Both hands guiding her elbows. Her back almost against his chest. Not quite. The not-quite was the whole affair. Sweat had made the grey shirt dark between her breasts. From the dispenser I saw her mouth open for breath and stay open a moment after the breath had done its work.

A deadlift, light still, her learning the hinge. He crouched at her side to show the back. His fingers at the base of her spine, then higher, then the quiet tap that means here, stay here. She shut her eyes. Anjali, on the next mat, looked at me and then looked away, which is how a gym becomes a witness.

In the car that day she said, “You don’t have to come inside every time.”

“I know.”

“Then why.”

I could have said because you fell once. I said nothing. She understood the nothing. She turned her face to the window and the braid left a dark comma against her neck.

The phone became a room the house could not enter.

Late, after Father’s news, after Sonam’s door, after the last tap in the bathroom. I would see the hall light under her bedroom and the small, repeating white of a screen on her face. Not always typing. Sometimes only reading. Sometimes the thumb at her lip.

I did not read the messages. I did not have to. A house teaches you the grammar of a secret. The vibration she had kept for him. The way she took the phone with her when she went to drink water at midnight. The way she came back with her mouth softer.

Flirting, when it is done by a forty-seven-year-old teacher and a man who still says Atya in front of the father, does not look like cinema. It looks like this:

A photograph of her plate at 9:40 p.m. I ate the eggs. Happy?

A reply she read twice.

A voice note she played with the speaker against her ear, sitting on the edge of the bed I grew up knowing as my parents’ bed. His voice, low, a laugh in it. I heard one line because the house was too still: don’t send me the plate if you want me to sleep.

She did not send plates for two days. On the third night she sent a photograph of the steel box of nuts and nothing else. I know because she laughed, once, into her fist, like a girl.

Friendship is a word that does a lot of dishonest work.

They began to meet outside the glass door.

First it was coffee because the session had run and she “did not want to go home shaking.” Aundh has a hundred places that will sell you that sentence. They sat at a small table near the window of a café that smells of cinnamon and other people’s mornings. I know the table. I passed it one day on the way to a client and did not stop the car. I saw her jacket on the back of the chair, her braid, his forearm on the table not touching her hand. They were leaning in the way people lean when the talk has become more important than the coffee. She laughed. He looked at her mouth.

I drove to the office and sat in the basement parking for ten minutes with the engine off.

The second time she told the house. “Anjali got late. Vivek dropped me to the signal only.” The third time she did not mention Anjali. Father was at the shop. Sonam was in a lecture. I was the only one who needed a story, and she gave me a look that asked me not to demand one.

“It is only coffee,” she said, tying the school saree over the body the gym had made.

“I didn’t ask.”

“You always ask. Even when you don’t.”

Closeness is a slow animal. It sits first in the gym, then in the phone, then in a café, then in the way a woman says a man’s name when she thinks she is alone with a cupboard.

By the end of the third month he was no longer only the boy with Holi hands.

He still came to our hall. He still said Kaka. He still asked about rates. But when Mother handed him tea their fingers had learned a small delay. Sonam saw it once and went to her room and put music on, loud, as if noise could be a moral position.

On the floor the may I became a ritual they both used to stay decent.

He touched her more.

Not suddenly. Not stupidly. A trainer can hide a hunger inside a correction for a long time if he is intelligent, and Vivek is intelligent. The hip. The lower back. The wrist alignment that required both his hands around her one hand. The day he tucked a stray hair behind her ear because it was falling into her mouth on the bike, and then froze, and then said sorry tai as if the word sorry could put the hair back in the air.

She did not step away.

She said, “It was in my mouth,” which was true and also not the point.

I was there. I saw the red climb her throat like a thought.

Home, in those weeks, became a place of careful kindness. She cooked the diet without making it a religion. She sat with Father in the evenings and asked about the godown. She let Sonam braid her hair. She was, in all the visible ways, a better wife, a better mother, a woman returned from a small death on a wet floor.

And then the lights went off and the other life opened in her palm.

One night in the second week of December I got up for water. Her door was not latched. A slice of yellow. She was on the bed, back against the headboard, Father already a heavy shape under the quilt, asleep the way men his age sleep — completely, innocently, like the house was still the house he had built. She had the phone tilted, brightness low. She was smiling at the screen with a smile I have never received. Soft. Private. A little afraid of itself.

She typed.

Waited.

Bit the inside of her cheek.

Typed again.

I stood in the dark passage and felt the old fall all over again — not her body this time, mine. The child who wanted his mother unbreached. The man who had watched her become beautiful in navy tights and did not know where to put that watching. The brother-son-witness who had delivered her to a glass door and left her with a man who knew now the exact width of her hips under his palms.

She looked up.

The smile died in an orderly way, like a lamp turned down, not off.

“Couldn’t sleep?” she asked, and her voice was Mother, which was a kind of mercy and a kind of lie.

“Water.”

She nodded. The phone went screen-down on the sheet, still lit at the edges, his name still warm under the glass.

“He is helping,” she said, because that sentence had become the family prayer.

“I know what he is doing,” I said.

For a moment I thought she would be angry. She was not. She looked tired in a way exercise cannot make you tired.

“So do I,” she whispered, so that the quilt would not hear. “Knowing is not the same as stopping.”

I drank the water I did not want. I went back to my room. Through the wall I did not hear typing. I heard, after a long time, the small sound of a woman putting a phone under a pillow, as if the pillow could keep a secret from a husband and a son and from the body that had already learned another man’s hands.

In the morning I dropped her anyway.

She wore the black tights and the navy jacket unzipped. The gym had taken three months and given her back a walk. Vivek was at the glass door. He looked at her first. Then at me. Something passed between the three of us that had no respectable name in Aundh, in our language, in the story this family tells at Diwali.

“I have her,” he said.

She went in.

This time, through the glass, I did not pretend to use my phone.

I watched him set her feet for a squat. I watched his hands find the place they now knew better than the house knows it. I watched her let him. I watched her breathe into the touch as if the touch were part of the breath.

Three months.

Home. Health. Work. Fitness.

And a friendship that had begun to stay late, drink coffee, put its palm on a married woman’s hip in the name of form, and send light into a bedroom where a sixty-seven-year-old man slept like the world was still simple.

I started the car when I could no longer see her face.
 

AuthorKong

Monster Knight
23
0
2
The road home was the same road.

Nothing on it was the same.

I was still at the bank when it happened.

That is the part I cannot forgive first — not the act, not even the lying. The ordinary hour. A client talking about a renewal. The AC on my neck. My phone face-down because I had told myself I would not watch her life like a CCTV. December light dying on SB Road. Vivek’s birthday the next week, a date Sonam had put in the family group with a cake emoji, Father typing tell him come home for dinner, Mother typing hn and nothing else.

She finished school at two-twenty. She did not come home.

She bought a small box of almond cake from the bakery near her signal, the one she uses for staff farewells, and took a rickshaw in the opposite direction of Aundh. She had changed in the staff toilet — not gym clothes, not a saree. A rust-coloured kurti she had not worn in a year, the neck a little low, the fabric a little thin, winter shawl over it like a lie. Hair open. Perfume at the wrist and at the hollow of her throat. No bindi.

His flat is above a silent street behind Baner, one bedroom, the smell of protein and clean shirts and a man who lives alone on purpose. She pressed the bell with a thumb that was not steady.

He opened in a grey T-shirt and home shorts, phone still in his hand, the beginning of a birthday week already on his face.

For a second he only looked at her.

“Atya.”

“Don’t,” she said, and the word came out softer than a correction. “Not today. Are you going to make me stand in the passage.”

He stepped aside. The door shut. The city became a rumour behind it.

She put the cake on his counter as if it were an excuse that might still work. He had been cutting cucumber and onion on a board. Salad. Two plates, which meant he had not been expecting her and had still set a place for a hunger he had not named.

“I was making—” he began.

“I know. You told me. Eat something green after school. So I came to eat it here.”

Silence. The fridge humming. Her shawl sliding off one shoulder. He saw the kurti and the years under it and the three months of tights and the wet tile and the boy he had been on the society steps, and something in him finally put the polite word down.

“Aparna.”

She closed her eyes when he said her name like that. Not Atya. Not tai. The name a man says when he has already undressed a woman in his head a hundred times.

“I should not have come.”

“I know.”

“I am going to stay anyway.”

He laughed once, helpless, and went back to the board because his hands needed a decent task. She stood beside him. Close. The rust cloth at his arm. He cut. She watched his wrist. The same wrist that had held her hip through a squat while her son drank water from a plastic cup ten feet away.

“Arun thinks I am at Anjali’s,” she said.

“Don’t say his name.”

“Why.”

He put the knife down. Turned. There was cucumber on his thumb. He did not wipe it.

“Because you know Arun will kill me if he comes to know I fucked his mother.”

The sentence landed in the small kitchen like a third body.

She did not step back. Colour rose from the open neck of the kurti into her throat, into the honey of her face, into the ears she hides under hair.

“Then he will have to kill me first,” she whispered. “Say the rest.”

He looked at her mouth.

“I have always imagined your naked body under those gym clothes. From the first week. The navy ones. The way the shirt stuck when you were done. I corrected your back and I thought about your breasts in my hands. I am saying this because you came to my door with cake and I cannot make salad like a good boy anymore.”

Her breath went uneven. She took his wrist, the one with the cucumber still on it, and put his palm on her.

Over the kurti first. The heavy, trained, still-soft weight of her breast filling his hand as if the hand had been measured for it years ago. He made a sound he had not made on the gym floor. She arched into it, eyes shutting, a small broken ah that did not belong to a teacher.

“I have imagined your hard dick,” she said against his jaw, the words clumsy and filthy and earned. “In the car. In my kitchen at midnight. When you said may I I said yes because I wanted the hand. Let my son do whatever he wants. Today I am not a mother. I am not a wife. I am a hungry tigress who wants your cum.”

Then there was no salad.

His mouth found hers as if it had been waiting since the society hall. Not gentle. Not the polite may I. A man’s kiss — hunger and relief and the last of the shame burning as it went. She kissed like someone who had not been kissed in a long time and had not forgotten how. Open. Wet. A moan into him when his tongue took hers. His other hand in her hair, fistful, tilting her, the gold earring cold against his knuckles.

The kurti came up.

She lifted her arms for him. Under it, a beige blouse she had worn to school, hooks at the back. His fingers knew hooks from no practice except wanting this. The blouse opened. He dragged the cups down.

Aparna at forty-seven, in a Baner kitchen, breasts bare over the shoved-down blouse — heavy, dark-nippled, lifted by three months of work and by twenty years of being hidden. He stared the way he had never allowed himself to stare under fluorescent gym light. Then he took one in both hands and put his mouth on it.

She cried out. Not cinema. Real. A shocked, high sound, as if the nerve had been asleep and had woken all at once.

“Vivek—”

He sucked. Licked the tightening peak. Dragged his teeth just enough. The other breast he held and thumbed, rough and worshipping together. She clutched the back of his head and held him there, shameless, her teacher’s mouth open, a string of broken sounds that made her sound new. Like a girl. Like a virgin who has wanted for years and is only now being touched where the wanting lives.

“Don’t stop. Please. I feel— I feel it everywhere.”

He backed her to the counter. Lifted her onto it as if she weighed nothing, and she was not nothing — hips, thighs, the dancing weight of her — but his body had been built for iron and she was the thing the iron had been for. Her knees opened around him because they knew him. He rucked the salwar down. She lifted her hips to help. Petticoat, school-day cotton panty already marked with what the kiss had done. He pulled them off her ankles and dropped them on his clean floor.

Naked from the waist, blouse hanging, breasts wet from his mouth, she sat on his counter with her hair falling and her mouth red and looked at him with an expression I have only seen on her in pieces — in a trial-room mirror, in a midnight screen-glow, never whole.

He shoved his shorts down.

She saw him and said his name like a prayer that had gone wrong.

He rubbed first, because even now some part of him was the boy who ate her poha. The head of him against the slick heat of her. Slow. Her forehead on his. Both of them shaking.

“Tell me to stop.”

“If you stop I will hate you.”

He pushed in.

She was tight in the way a woman is tight when it has been a long season of only her own hands and a husband’s sleep. She took him with a long, stunned moan, eyes wide, fingers digging into his shoulders, the sound climbing into something raw and disbelieving.

“Ah— Vivek— it’s— it’s too—”

“Breathe. I have you.”

“Don’t have me. Fuck me.”

He did.

First there, on the counter, her legs around him, her breasts moving with every thrust, the cake box trembling at the edge. He held her hips the way he held them on the floor of Forge — thumbs in the hollows he knew — and used that knowledge without mercy. She moaned like she had never been entered. High. Broken. Ah, ah, there, there, and then words that had no place in our language at our dining table. He kissed her through it, ate the sounds, told her she was wet, told her he had known, told her the grey shirt had driven him insane, and she answered with her body because her mouth was busy being ruined.

He lifted her off the counter without leaving her.

That was the thing she had not imagined clearly enough — the sudden drop of the floor, her naked weight in his arms, his cock still buried, her arms locked around his neck. He carried her three steps to the heavy chair at his table and sat, and she came down in his lap, impaled, gasping, hair in both their mouths.

“Sit,” he said into her throat. “Ride it. You’re not glass.”

She laughed, a wild small laugh, and then the laugh broke into a moan as he pulled her down onto him fully. Her thighs — the ones the tights had taught the city — spread over his, the thick beautiful working flesh of a woman, and she began to move.

Lap. Deep. His hands full of her ass, spreading her, lifting her, dropping her onto him. Her breasts in his face. He sucked while she rode. She held the back of the chair and the back of his head and forgot every decent sentence she owned.

“Like a girl,” he muttered against her nipple. “Listen to you.”

“I feel like a girl. I feel— Vivek, I’m going to— don’t you dare stop—”

She came first like a fall.

Not polite. Not quiet. A full-body seize, mouth open on a sound that would have brought Lata running if Lata had been in that kitchen, inner muscles dragging at him, tears at the corners of her kohl because the body had waited too long and was not civil about relief. He held her through it, buried, kissing the wet salt at her eye, and when she tried to collapse he stood up with her still on him and took her to the bed.

The bedroom was dim. One window. A rack of gym shirts. He laid her down and pulled the rest of the blouse off so there was nothing left of school. Aparna bare on his sheets — waist cinched by work, belly soft and honest, the dark ghost of an old bruise on the outer hip, the heavy breasts fallen sideways, the black-and-silver hair all over his pillow. He looked until she covered her face.

“Don’t.”

He opened her wrists and pinned them and went into her again.

Missionary first, deep, his mouth on hers, her knees high. Then he hooked one of her legs over his shoulder and the angle made her shout. Then he turned her onto her side and took her from behind with a hand on her breast and a hand on her clit, and she pushed back onto him like the tigress she had named, greedy, cursing him sweetly, asking for harder, asking for his cum, saying in me, in me, I want it in me.

He flipped her again, sat back on his heels, dragged her into his lap once more — her spine against his chest this time, both of them facing the cheap mirror on his cupboard. She saw herself. Forty-seven. Naked. Split on the boy from the society. His hands painting her breasts, her waist, the place where he disappeared into her.

She moaned at the sight as if the sight were a second cock.

“Watch,” he said.

“I am watching.”

“Say it.”

“You are fucking Arun’s mother.” She shuddered, vicious with shame and want. “You are fucking me. Give it. Vivek. Give me your cum.”

He lasted long enough to make her come again, smaller, shaking, a whimper into her own shoulder. Then he held her hips and lifted her and dropped her and broke.

He spilled in her with a groan that came from the boy and the man together, pulsing, filling, his mouth open on her neck. She felt it and made a sound I cannot put cleanly on a page — satisfaction and ruin and a tenderness that had no right to exist in that room.

They stayed like that until the shake left.

Salad drying on the board. Cake unopened. Her panty on the floor like evidence. His T-shirt still on, her body unmarked except for the red of his mouth on her breasts and the wet of him leaving her when he finally lifted her off his lap and laid her down.

She stared at the ceiling.

Then she started to laugh, quietly, the laugh of a woman who has stepped off a cliff and found, for one hour, that the air would hold.

“I have class tomorrow,” she said.

“I have a six-forty-five batch,” he said.

Neither of them moved to make those sentences true yet.

He touched her stomach with the backs of his fingers. Not training. Not may I. After.

“He will know,” Vivek said.

She turned her face into his pillow.

“Not today,” she whispered. “Today I am not his mother. Today I already did the thing that would make him kill you. Let him do whatever he wants when the day comes. Right now you will hold me until I can put the kurti back on and go home and make tea.”

He held her.

On SB Road, at 4:10, my client signed. My phone stayed dark. I thought she was at Anjali’s. I thought the house was still the house.

She came in at six-fifteen with the shawl pinned straight and the rust kurti smelling faintly of his soap. She heated milk. She asked Father about the shop. She told Sonam the cake had been for a staff thing. She did not look at me until I said her name.

“Aai.”

“Hn.”

“You’re late.”

She met my eyes the way she had met them from the sofa the day she fell — as if a fall had happened again, somewhere I had not been standing.

“Traffic,” she said.

Then she went to the bathroom and locked it, and the tap ran a long time, and I sat in the hall with a son’s love and a man’s knowledge I did not yet have the facts for, only the temperature of the house, which had changed by one more degree.

In Baner, the salad waited on the board, cut and never eaten.

The week of his birthday had already begun.

The first marks were small enough to be called something else, if a house is willing to lie.

A dark flower at the base of her throat, just under where a pallu could live. A bruise on the inner swell of her left breast that only a blouse would know. Finger-shadows at her hips, the exact width of a man who deadlifts for a living. A tenderness between her legs she hid by sitting down slowly at the dining table, by saying the gym had been heavy, by smiling at Father when he asked if her knee was all right.

Sanjay Deshpande sleeps like a man who has spent sixty-seven years trusting his own roof.

That became her whole strategy.

She stayed “late at school.” Staff meeting. Answer papers. A slow child who needed extra time. The sentences were ready before anyone asked. She came in after his news had begun, after his feet were washed, after the quilt had already taken him. She lay down on her side of the bed with her body screaming and her breathing arranged into the breathing of a wife. When he turned, once, and his hand landed on her waist in the old married way, she held still until the hand became only a hand again, and then she stared at the dark and felt Vivek still leaking out of the afternoon.

Desperate is an ugly word. It was the right one.

Two days. Three. The body did not care about school timetables. In the kitchen her thighs brushed and she had to put the ladle down. In the staffroom a man said good afternoon madam and her nipples tightened under the blouse as if the voice had been the other one. At night the phone was a second pulse. She typed I can still feel you and deleted it. She typed I want it again and sent it before the house could grow a conscience.

He replied at 11:41.

Gym tomorrow. After the ladies’ batch the floor empties. We go. Say yes.

She said yes from the bathroom, sitting on the closed commode with her saree around her waist and her forehead on her knees, like a girl, like a tigress, like a mother who had already spent the last of her decent names.

I dropped her at 6:40. I did not go in. A meeting at nine. I told myself that.

Through the glass I saw the ordinary lie — Anjali, Smita, the bar, her braid, Vivek’s professional mouth. I left.

They trained forty minutes so the cameras and the other women would have a story. Then the ladies’ batch thinned. She went to the change room and came out in the rust kurti again, jacket on, bag on the shoulder. He locked the office, told the boy at the desk he had a vendor call, and they took his bike because a City in that lane at that hour is a witness.

His flat smelled the same. Salad was not being made this time.

There was a bottle.

Not much. Cheap whisky he keeps for the one friend who still visits. Two glasses that did not match. She drank like a woman who does not drink — a grimace, a second sip, heat down the throat that had already been bitten. He watched her mouth on the glass and laughed, low.

“Aparna. Slow.”

“Don’t slow me.” Her voice had already left the school. “Teen mahine tu haat lagavto ani me ghari joun aai bante. Aaj nahi. Aaj me bhukeli ahe.”

The Marathi came out of her like it comes out of this city when English becomes too small. I am hungry. He took the glass from her and kissed the whisky off her tongue.

Clothes did not survive the passage.

He had her against the door first, kurti up, blouse yanked, mouth on the breast that still carried his old mark, sucking until she hissed and grabbed his hair.

“Behenchod— soft, te still dukhta—”

He lifted his head, eyes dark, mouth wet.

“Madarchod, I marked you and you still came back.”

“I came back because my chut has been eating my brain for three days. Kapde kadh. Aata.”

They did not make the bed like lovers. They made a mess like people who know they have stolen an hour.

He sat her on the table and ate her with no patience — her salwar at one ankle, school panty torn aside, his mouth open on the place the gym tights had been hiding from him in public. She clapped a palm over her own lips and still the moan got out, high, virgin-shocked, the same disbelieving sound as the first day, as if her body refused to become experienced.

“Vivek— Vivek haat— jeebh— fuck—”

He pulled her down onto the floor because the table shook. She went on her hands and knees on his cheap rug and looked back at him with kohl already running a little, hair loose, ass up, the heavy dancing shape of her offered without the word may I.

He pushed into her cunt from behind in one long thrust and she almost screamed.

“Ah— madarchod— deep— wait—”

He did not wait long. Hands on the hips he had been correcting for three months, he fucked her like the politeness had died in the whisky. The sound was wet and ugly and honest. She pushed back onto him, greedy, the tigress she had named, school-teacher mouth pouring whatever language would hold the feeling.

“Haa— wahi— behenchod wahi jagah— meri chut kha ja— Arun ka— his mother— you are fucking his mother—”

“I know whose mother you are.” His breath wrecked. “I have known since the navy tights. Tight madarchod gym clothes and this wet rati under them—”

“Bol. Ganda bol. Mala aikaycha ahe.”

He said worse. She said worse. Behenchod when he hit the spot that folded her elbows. Madarchod when she clenched and tried to run forward and he dragged her back by the waist. Marathi under the Hindi, broken, zada, zada, nako thambus, ghal, ghal aat.

When she came it was violent. She dropped to her forearms, ass still up, shaking, a sound like crying that was not crying. He stayed in her until it passed, kissing the wet line of her spine.

Then she said, into the rug, the thing that made the hour go feral.

“Aata maga. Gandhi. Slow. Pan kar. I have been thinking about it in the staff toilet like a shameless woman.”

He froze only long enough to be a man and not an animal.

“You sure.”

“Mi sure nahi. Mi desperate ahe. Same thing today.”

He took her to the bed for that.

Whisky on his fingers first, then on her, then the slow, careful cruelty of a first time there. She buried her face in his pillow and swore, long, filthy, a string of behenchod and madarchod and halke, halke, saala, nako thamb that turned, inch by inch, into a moan she did not recognise as her own. He held her cheeks open and talked her through it — breathe, push back, that’s it, good, Aparna, look at you — and when he was seated in her ass she reached back and gripped his wrist as if the wrist were the only decent thing left in the room.

“Don’t you dare tell me I am Atya now.”

“You are not Atya.” He started to move, shallow, then deeper as her body learned. “You are the madarchod dream I have been training. You are this gand taking my cock. You are going to go downstairs and sit in your son’s car with my cum in you.”

She came again from that, from the words and the stretch and the finger he put on her clit, a shocked broken ah-ah-ah like the first kiss on the counter, virgin-helpless even while she asked him to ruin her. He followed with a groan, pulled out of her ass at the last second and spent across the small of her back, on the hip that had once hit granite, white on honey skin, a new marking no pallu was designed for.

They lay in the wreck of it. The bottle open. Her laugh came late, hoarse.

“I have to go back to the gym.”

“I know.”

“If I go home like this he will see.”

He meant me. She meant Father. The he in that flat had become a crowded word.

He cleaned her with a towel that would never be only a towel again. Helped her into the kurti. Stood behind her at his cheap mirror and pulled her hair over the darkest bite on her throat. It did not hide enough. A bruise wants air. A bruise wants a son with eyes.

“Jacket up,” he said.

She zipped it to her mouth.

They went back. Separate. She entered Forge through the glass as if she had only gone to the chemist. Sat on a bench. Drank water. Anjali said you went so red, tai, too much cardio? and Aparna laughed the staffroom laugh and said hn, too much.

I reached at 8:05 because her message said pick, session ran.

She came out with the jacket still high. Sat in the front seat. Bag between her feet. The smell in the car was not only rubber and her soap. Whisky, faint. His detergent. Sex, if a son is willing to admit he knows the smell.

Aundh road. Signals. A florist pulling down a shutter.

I saw it at the turn near the university, when a bus light raked the cabin and she reached to change the vent. The jacket shifted. On the left side of her neck, above the collarbone, below the place a mother keeps decent, a mouth had been.

Not a mosquito. Not a blouse hook. A love bite, dark, wet-edged, unmistakable.

The wheel was suddenly too big for my hands.

“Maa.”

She looked at the road.

“Please thoda khayal rakho.” My voice came out low, almost gentle, which made it worse. “There are markings.”

She understood at once. I felt it go through her — the flinch, the swallow, the hand that rose and pulled the jacket and the hair together over the evidence. She did not speak. She did not insult me with mosquito or allergy or Anjali’s perfume. She sat in my passenger seat with another man’s bite on her throat and stared at the dark glass like a woman who has been caught by the only person she cannot bear to perform for.

I drove.

The house came up, innocent, tulsi, mango, Father’s Innova already home.

She opened the door before the engine died. Went straight down the passage. The bathroom lock clicked. The tap opened hard, full, a long roaring that was meant to be only water and was also a woman washing a birthday week off her skin before a husband woke enough to ask for tea.

I went to my room.

Closed the door.

Sat on the bed with the car keys still cutting my palm.

I did not follow her. I did not knock. I did not say Vivek’s name into the hall where Father could hear it and the roof could come down.

I sat in the dark and saw the mark again, and the way she had not spoken, and the way her legs had moved when she walked to the bathroom — careful, used, a little open, as if the body had been asked for more than a gym can ask, and had answered, and was still answering, even now, under our tap, in our house, while I, her son, did the only thing left that still looked like love.
 

AuthorKong

Monster Knight
23
0
2
I stayed in my room.

And I did not sleep.

The house had no men in it except me, and that was enough to make every clock sound louder.

Father had taken the early flight to Surat — a dealer, a godown delay, the kind of trip he announces while packing a white shirt as if Surat were still a village he could shout across. Sonam had left at seven in a black top I did not like and a laugh that was too bright, a friend’s birthday in Baner, don’t wait up. The Innova was gone. Her scooter was gone. Lata’s bucket was upside down in the courtyard. The mango tree scratched the wall like it wanted in.

I was in my room with the lamp on and a file I was not reading when the knock came.

Not on the main door. On mine.

Two knuckles. Soft. The knock she used when I was sixteen and had fever.

I opened.

She was in the old pale-blue house gown, the one from the week of the fall. Hair open, damp at the ends as if she had stood under the tap again for courage. No bindi. No gold. A tray in her hands — two cups, the steel one for me, the small flowered one for her, steam already dying. Behind her the hall was dark. She looked like a woman who had walked a long corridor inside herself before she walked this one.

“Coffee,” she said.

As if coffee were the news.

I stepped back. She came in. For a moment she did not know where to put the tray in a son’s room — the desk was files, the bed was unmade, the chair had my shirt. She set it on the desk with both hands, carefully, the way she sets things when her wrists remember being wrapped.

She did not sit at first.

“Papa’s plane landed,” she said. “He called from the taxi. Sonam reached. She sent a photo of a cake.”

“I know.”

“So it is only us.”

“I know that also.”

She nodded, once, as if the facts had to be stacked before a person could climb them. Then she sat on the edge of my bed, not in the centre, the gown pulled over her knees. I took the chair. The coffee sat between us and did not get drunk.

For a long time there was only the fan.

“You saw,” she said.

Not a question.

“The neck,” I said. “Yesterday.”

Her hand went there, traitorously, and stopped before it touched. The mark had been worked on — powder, a higher collar at school, hair. In the gown’s open throat it was still a mouth. Fainter. Not gone. A man had been there. The fact lived in my room like a third cup.

“I am not going to insult you with stories,” she said. “Anjali. Mosquito. Blouse hook. You are not a child. You drove. You looked at me and you said khayal rakho and you did not raise your voice in front of the house. That is the only reason I have the face to sit here.”

I laughed, and the laugh was not kind.

“You want thanks.”

“I want to talk before this house fills up again and I become only your mother and I lose the hour.”

She picked up her cup. Her mouth shook on the rim. She put it down without drinking.

“It just happened.”

The oldest sentence in the language. It sat on my desk and looked ashamed of itself.

“That is not true,” I said. “Things like that do not just. They walk. They text at midnight. They drink coffee in Aundh. They say may I until may I is a joke.”

Her eyes filled and did not spill. Aparna does not spill if she can help it.

“Then listen to the true version,” she said. “I will say it once, Arun. If you get up and leave I will understand. If you stay, you stay as my son who already knows, not as a judge who wants a cleaner story than a body has.”

I stayed.

She looked at her own knees.

“When I fell, something in me broke that the X-ray did not see. Not the hip. The story I tell myself to get out of bed. That I am still the woman who dances. That this house runs because I am strong. That Sanjay will always be enough because he is decent and he provided and he never raised a hand. All of that is still true. And also — for years — nobody had looked at me as if I could be wanted without being useful. Do you understand the difference? Useful, I know. I am very good at useful. Wanted is a different temperature.”

The fan cut the sentence into pieces.

“Vivek looked.” She said his name like it hurt her teeth. “First as Atya. Then as a back that needed correcting. Then as a woman in tights who had a waist. I felt it. I am forty-seven, I am not stupid. I let the looking happen because my body had started to wake up in that gym and I was lonely in a way that does not show in a family photograph.”

“Papa—”

“Your father is in Surat selling pipes.” Her voice cracked, then steadied. “He is a good man. He sleeps at nine-thirty. He touches me like a habit that forgot it used to be a fire. I am not blaming him. I am telling you the room I was living in when another man put his hand on my hip and asked permission, and the permission felt like air.”

She wiped her cheek with her wrist, angry at the water.

“The first time, I went to his flat with cake like a fool. Birthday week. I told myself coffee. Salad. I stood in his kitchen and he said your name. He said you would kill him if you knew he had fucked your mother.” She did not flinch from the word. She put it on the tray beside the coffee, carefully. “And I heard your name in that sentence and I still did not leave. That is the part you should hate. Not the body. The fact that I heard my son and stayed.”

I had to stand up. The chair was too small. I went to the window and saw only our own courtyard, the tulsi, the dark.

“And after,” she said to my back. “The markings. I tried. Jacket. Hair. I still sat in your car with his mouth on my neck. Yesterday I went again. After the batch. I asked him. My body asked him. I am not going to use pretty language for you, Arun. I was desperate. Three days of teaching fractions with my thighs wet. That is the truth. It is ugly. It happened. More happened than the first day. Whisky. Things I did not know I would ask for. Then I came back to the gym so there would be a door you could pick me up from. Then you saw. Then I locked the bathroom and washed like washing could make me your mother again.”

I turned.

She looked smaller on my bed and also larger than the room. The gown had slipped from one shoulder. I saw the edge of another mark, older, yellowing, on the upper swell of her breast, and I looked away so hard my neck hurt.

“Why tell me,” I said. “Why not let me live with only the neck.”

“Because you already cannot.” She folded her hands in her lap, teacher, wife, the woman from the wet kitchen floor. “You have been watching since the trial room. Don’t look at me like that. I have known your eyes your whole life. You look at Sonam and you look away. You look at me and you stay one second longer. I am not asking you for that. I am saying I will not sit in this house and pretend you are blind while I walk around with another man’s hands still on my skin. That pretence will turn you into someone who hates me in silence. I would rather you hate me in this room, with coffee, while there is no one to hear.”

The cups had gone cold.

“Do you love him.”

The question came out of me like blood.

She thought. I saw her try to find a clean word and fail.

“No,” she said at last. “Not the way I loved your father when I was twenty-four and he put a bindi on me after the pheras. Not the way I love you. Not even the way I love this house. It is the body. It is being seen. It is a man who says may I and then does not treat me like glass. It is three months of becoming strong and then wanting the strength used. If you need it to be love so you can call me a fool, call me a fool. If you need it to be only sex so you can call me cheap, do that also. I am both. I am your mother who fell on a wet tile and I am a woman who went back to a flat because her chut would not shut up. I am saying that word in your room so you understand I am not going to hide behind it just happened like a girl in a serial.”

Silence, again. A scooter far away. Sonam’s laugh in some other Baner, Father asleep in some Surat lodge with his ring on the side table.

“What do you want from me,” I said.

“Nothing you cannot give.” She stood. The gown fell straight. She was shaking. “I do not want your blessing. I do not want you to drive me to his door. I do not want you to tell Papa in the morning and end this family because your hurt is holy. I want—” her voice thinned, became the voice from the sofa the day she fell — “I want you to know I know what I have done to you. You picked me up. You saw. You said maa, khayal rakho like you were still my boy and also like you were a man who had been slapped. I heard both. I am sorry for the slap. I am not going to insult you by saying I am sorry for the wanting. The wanting is mine. It is the first thing in years that has been only mine.”

She came to the desk, took my cold cup, and put it in my hands because she cannot speak to a child without feeding him.

“Drink. You have not eaten properly since yesterday. I saw the plate.”

I did not drink.

“Will you stop.”

She looked at my mouth, my eyes, the window, the bed, the whole small country of a son’s room.

“I don’t know,” she whispered. “If I say yes I may be lying. If I say no I am a monster in front of you. The body is still asking. I came here with coffee instead of going there tonight. That is all the virtue I have in the account today.”

She reached up.

I thought she would touch the mark.

She touched my face instead. Dry palm. The same hand that used to check fever. The same hand that had held a bar on her shoulders while Vivek set her hips. She held my jaw for one second, as if to confirm I was still made of her, and then she took the hand back as if the skin had become complicated.

“I am still your mother,” she said. “That did not get fucked out of me. If you believe nothing else, believe that. The rest is a mess I made and I am standing in it.”

She picked up her own cup, untouched, and the tray.

At the door she paused, the way she had paused after the fall, the way she pauses when a kitchen behind her has become a person.

“If Sonam comes home early,” she said, very quietly, “this conversation never happened. If Papa calls, I am asleep. If you cannot look at me in the morning, look at the cooker. I will understand.”

“Maa.”

She waited, her back to me, shoulders held the way the gym had taught her.

I did not ask her to promise. I did not say Vivek’s name. I did not say I had sat in this room the night before and seen her walk to the bathroom with used legs and had not slept.

I said, “The coffee is cold.”

She nodded, as if that were an answer that could keep a house standing.

Then she went down the dark hall with the tray, the gown whispering, the mark on her throat trying to live under damp hair, and I heard her wash the cups in a kitchen that had already seen one fall.

I sat on my bed with the cold steel against my palm and the shape of her hand still on my face.

Outside, Surat was another city. Baner was music. Aundh was only our lane, and our tulsi, and a woman standing at a sink trying to be a mother again with the same body that had learned it was also something else.

I did not follow her.

I sat.

And the house, empty of everyone but us, held its breath around the talk we had finally put into the air, where it could not be taken back.

An hour is longer in a house that has already said too much.

I sat with the cold steel cup until the metal took my heat and gave me nothing back. Down the hall the tap had stopped. Her door had shut with the softness she uses when Father is home, even though Father was in Surat and Sonam was under someone else’s fairy lights. The fan in my room ticked. A dog barked two lanes away and then thought better of it.

I thought of the wet tile. The trial-room curtain. The café table I had passed and not stopped at. The neck in the bus light. The bathroom tap roaring. Coffee going cold on my desk while she said the wanting is mine.

Then I got up, because sitting had become another kind of cowardice.

Her door was not latched. A thin yellow line. I knocked with one knuckle, the way she had knocked on mine.

“Aai.”

A pause. Cloth. The sound of a phone being turned face-down.

“Come.”

She was on the bed that has always been theirs. The pale gown. Hair still damp. A pillow hugged to her stomach like she needed a witness that was not me. The lamp on her side was the only light. Father’s cupboard stood open an inch on his folded vests, Surat already missing him. The room smelled of her soap and of the talk we had left in mine, as if talk had a scent and had followed her.

She looked at me standing in her doorway and for a second she was only frightened. Not of Vivek. Of a son who had come back after an hour.

I did not sit on their bed. I stood at the foot of it, hands empty.

“Okay,” I said.

Her mouth opened. Nothing came.

“I agree.” The words felt too big for my throat and too small for what they were doing. “I can do that for you. I’m happy if you’re happy.”

Silence like a dropped plate that has not yet hit.

“Really,” she whispered.

“Yes.”

“Arun. Look at me. Don’t say it to the cupboard.”

I looked at her. The mark on her throat had gone a duller colour under the lamp. Her eyes were swollen from the hour she had spent alone after the coffee. She looked like the woman who had fallen and the woman who had sat on a Baner counter and the woman who used to tie my shoelaces, and I had no clean place to put any of them.

“Really,” I said again. “I’m not going to play father. I’m not going to play priest. You told me the body is asking. I heard you. If this is what… if this is what keeps you from that floor in your head, then okay. I’m with you.”

Her face did the dangerous thing. It hoped.

Then I put the rest down, because I am still the boy who packs her physiotherapy notes under a fridge magnet.

“But please be careful.” My voice went low, practical, almost angry with practicality. “Use condoms. All of it. I don’t want you in some clinic with a story about a toilet seat. I don’t want you hurt. Not the hip. Not anything else. He is thirty. He lifts. You are not glass, you said so. Still. Careful.”

For a moment she only stared.

Then the fear cracked, and something else came through — not gratitude exactly. A flash of the woman from the gym mirror. A tease she had no right to use in this room and used anyway, because the hour had already burned the rulebook.

“Oh,” she said, very softly. “Okay, big boy.”

“Maa.”

“Condoms. Safety. My son is giving me a lecture with his ears red.” The smile was small and terrible and fond. “And the hurt.” She looked down at the pillow, then up, honest in the way that had already ruined the evening once. “Maybe me getting a bit hurt makes me feel good. I hope you understand. Not broken. Not the fall kind. The other kind. The kind I asked for. If you are going to support, support that also. Don’t support only the pretty half.”

I shut my eyes. The fan. Father’s vests. Sonam’s empty room across the hall.

“Ohh, come on, Maa.”

The sentence came out like a groan and a laugh and a plea. I sounded twenty-seven and twelve at once.

She got off the bed.

I should have stepped back. I did not. She came around the footboard in that gown and she was suddenly close enough that I could see the separate silver threads in her hair. She rose on her feet and kissed my cheek.

One side. Warm mouth. Dry. The kiss a mother gives at a railway station.

Then the other cheek, a half-second longer, as if the first had not been enough to seal a pact this ugly and this tender.

She did not kiss my mouth. The line held, thin as hair.

When she lowered herself I could smell her soap and, under it, nothing of him. She had washed. The marks had not.

“If you really agree,” she said, still close, still looking up at me, “if you are not going to wake up at four and take it back — can I call him now.”

The room shrank.

“Now.”

“He is at home. I checked an hour ago. I did not call. I sat here. You came. You said okay. If the okay is real, let me hear his voice from this house once, with you knowing, so I don’t have to keep splitting into two women every time a door opens.”

I did not answer.

Five minutes is a long time to stand at the foot of your parents’ bed while your mother waits to phone the man who has had her on a rug.

I counted in stupid things. The flight time to Surat. The signal at Baner. The glass door of Forge. Condoms in a drawer I have never seen. The word big boy. The word hurt. The tulsi in the dark. Sonam’s cake photo. My own face in the black window, watching me become the person who would say yes.

Six minutes. She did not push. She only stood there with the phone face-down on the sheet, her thumb near it, a woman who would not snatch the permission, who would wait until it was given like the may I she had learned from him.

At seven minutes I heard my own breath like it belonged to someone else.

“Call,” I said.

The word was quiet. It filled the whole bungalow.

She searched my face for the take-back. There wasn’t one. Only the tired remains of a son who had chosen the version of love that does not smash the house tonight.

“Thank you,” she whispered, and it was worse than the tease, worse than the cheeks, because it was clean.

She sat on the edge of their bed, picked up the phone, and found him without looking — the thumb already knew. The screen lit her throat, the mark, the open gown.

She glanced at me once more.

I did not leave.

I went as far as the chair in the corner, Father’s reading chair, and sat in it like a man sitting shiva for a smaller death.

The ring sounded twice, thin, in our room.

Then his voice, small in the speaker, not on speaker — she held it to her ear like midnight — but I heard the shape of Aparna anyway, the way he says it when there is no gym.

She turned slightly away from me, not enough to hide, enough to have a mouth of her own.

“Mi ghari ahe,” she said, Marathi first, low. “Papa Surat. Sonam baher. Arun—” a swallow I felt in my own neck — “Arun knows. He is here. He said okay.”

Silence on the line. I imagined Baner. His flat. The board. The bed. The man standing up.

She listened. Her eyes shone.

“Hn. He said careful. He said condoms.” A breath that was almost the tease again, then not. “Don’t joke now. He can hear the room.”

She looked at me. I looked at the floor.

“I don’t know tomorrow,” she said into the phone. “Tonight I am not coming. Tonight I called because I could. Because my son is sitting in his father’s chair and he has not broken the house. That is all you get from this number today.”

Another silence. Then she said, even softer, “Good night, Vivek.”

She cut the call before the softness could grow a second sentence.

The screen went dark. She put the phone under the pillow the way she had the first week, as if cloth could keep a city out.

We sat in the yellow lamp, the two of us, the call already a fact the walls would have to learn to live with.

“Thank you,” she said again.

“Go to sleep, Maa.”

“Will you.”

“I’ll try.”

She nodded. She did not kiss my cheeks again. She pulled the gown up on her shoulder, covering what could still be covered, and for a moment she was only Aparna Deshpande on her own bed, forty-seven, a mark on her throat, a son in her husband’s chair, a lover’s name cooling in the air.

I got up.

At the door I said, without turning,

“If he hurts you in the way that is not the way you meant — you tell me. Not the fridge magnet. Me.”

“I will.”

I went back down the hall.

Behind me I heard her lie down on her side of the bed. One person. A lot of space. Surat at the other end of a flight. Baner at the other end of a cut call.

In my room the coffee cup was still there.

I left it.

I lay on top of the sheet and stared at the fan and let the agreement sit on my chest like a warm, wrong, living thing — the thing I had walked into her room to give her, the thing she had sealed on my cheeks, the thing that now had Vivek’s name spoken from our house, with my hearing still attached to it.

I had said okay.

The house, empty and full at once, kept the word.

Thirty minutes is long enough for a city to make a decision you have not finished agreeing to.

I had not slept. I had not even taken my shoes off properly. I was on my back listening to her room — a cupboard click, the cistern, the small restlessness of a woman who has been given permission and does not know where to put it — when the gate bell went.

Not the polite daytime press. A delivery thumb. Late. Our lane does not get late bells unless someone is bleeding or someone has ordered what should not arrive at a house with a tulsi in it.

I was in the hall before she was. The yellow light. Her door opening. The pale gown, a shawl thrown over it now, as if cloth could make a doorbell decent.

“I’ll go,” I said.

She followed anyway.

The boy at the gate had a helmet still on and a packet the size of a shoebox, taped, no shop name that mattered. He read the screen.

“Joshi? Vivek? This address they gave.”

The name sat in the dark courtyard like a man already inside.

I took the packet because my hands needed something that was not her face. Signed his machine. The boy left, already thinking of the next gate. The packet was heavier than groceries and lighter than a life. It made a soft, obscene shift when I turned it — plastic, glass, something that clinked.

We stood under the porch light.

“Did you order this,” I asked.

She looked at the label. At Vivek’s name. At our house number printed under it like a joke the city had typed.

“No.”

Not offended. Frightened. Honest.

“I didn’t. Arun. I didn’t.”

I should not have opened it on the dining table.

I opened it on the dining table.

The tape gave. Inside, a chemist’s bag and a black polythene and the particular cheap perfume of new rubber. Condoms — a long strip, more than a night. A blister of blue pills. A bottle of lubricant, still with the seal. Under that, wrapped like a gift nobody should give a son to unwrap: a plug of dark silicone, a pair of padded cuffs, a blindfold with the tag still on.

The house saw it. The fridge magnet saw it. The photograph of Sonam in tenth standard saw it.

Neither of us spoke.
 

AuthorKong

Monster Knight
23
0
2
That was when the gate moved again.

No bell this time. The small familiar scrape of a man who has been leaving chappals in this courtyard since he was nine. I knew the walk before I saw the shoulder.

Vivek.

Black T-shirt. Jeans. Hair still gym-damp. A look on his face that had prepared itself for her and had not prepared itself for me holding his parcel open under our tube-light.

He stopped on the last step.

“Hey, bro.”

The word bro tried to be twelve years old and failed.

His eyes went to the table. To the strip. To the bottle. To the rest.

“Oh,” he said, and the breath left him. “You got the parcel.”

Awkward is too small a word. It was a whole climate. Three people and a dining table and Father’s chair empty and Sonam’s helmet missing from the hook and a silicone shape sitting next to the fruit bowl like it had always lived there.

He did not come closer. I did not close the box. She stood between us in the shawl, throat marked, mouth slightly open, a woman watching the two houses of her life occupy the same tiles.

A scooter passed on ITI Road. Someone else’s ordinary night.

She broke it because she has always broken silences in this family — tea, a joke, a plate, a sentence that lets men breathe.

“Bas.” Her voice was thin, then it found the teacher. “Bas. Don’t stand like the police have come. Come inside. Let’s sit in my room.”

My room. Their room. The bed with Surat still folded in the cupboard.

Vivek looked at me. Not Atya’s son. Not the boy from the society steps. The man who had heard okay two hours ago and was now holding lubricant in his mother’s house.

I put the things back in the packet. Not neatly. My hands did not want a skill for this. I held it out. He took it. Our fingers did not touch.

She walked first, down the passage she had walked with a bruise eleven days after a fall, the same walls, a different hour. At her door she turned.

“Arun. Beta.” The beta was a mercy and a dismissal braided together. “You may go to sleep. Or… whatever you want. You don’t have to stand here. You already did the hard thing.”

Vivek moved then.

He came to me in the passage, the packet under one arm, and he put the other arm around me. A hug. Brief. Hard. The smell of his soap and her gym and the December night on his jacket. His palm landed on my back the way it used to after a lost cricket match.

“Thank you,” he said into my shoulder, low, only for me. “You are the best bro. I mean it. I won’t… I won’t make this ugly for the house. I swear.”

I did not hug him back properly. My hand lifted and fell on his shoulder once, a dead small pat, because the body remembers childhood even when the mind is standing in a ruin.

“Careful,” I said, the same word I had given her. “She fell once. Don’t you be the second floor.”

“I won’t.”

She was waiting in the yellow rectangle of the bedroom. The lamp. The bed. Father’s ring-space empty on the side table.

Vivek let me go.

They walked in.

He first, packet against his hip. She after, shawl tight, not looking at me when she passed, her fingers brushing the doorframe the way they brush the wall when the hip used to speak.

The door did not slam.

It closed with that same softness she uses for sleeping husbands.

I stood in the passage until I heard the latch.

Then I went to my room, as I had been told, as I had agreed, as a son who had said okay and had signed for a parcel and had been hugged by the man now on the other side of that wood.

I sat on my bed.

I did not put on the fan.

Through the wall there was only the first murmur of voices — hers, his — too low to be words, too alive to be sleep.

I lay down facing the window.

And I left them the house.

Ten minutes is not sleep. Ten minutes is a joke the body tells the mind.

I lay on my bed and counted the wood of their door as if counting could make it only wood. It did not. Every small sound on the other side — a drawer, a laugh cut short, the packet finding the mattress — went through the wall and sat on my chest. My friend. My mother. Her side room. The sentence would not stay in any respectable order. It kept rearranging itself until it was only heat and nausea and a restlessness that made the sheet feel like another person’s skin.

I got up.

The hall was dark. Their door was a closed mouth. I did not stop in front of it. If I stopped I would knock, and if I knocked I would become the child again, and I had already used up my childhood on that dining table.

I went up.

Our terrace is a square of rough kota and a water tank and the mango’s highest branches scratching the parapet like they want the news. Aundh at that hour is not silent. It is reduced — a dog, a distant gear-change on ITI Road, someone’s TV dying. December air, thin and clean, the kind that should help. It did not. I walked the edge twice. Lit nothing. My hands wanted the packet again, the weight of what I had signed for.

That was when I heard it.

Not from the lane. From below and to the left — our house feeding a sound upward through the old bones. A woman’s laugh. Short. Then another, lower, a man’s, trying to stay quiet and failing. Then the laugh became a shush, and the shush became a kiss I could not see yet and could still recognise, because a mouth on a mouth has a wet small sound that does not belong to a respectable bungalow.

There is a side strip of terrace outside their bathroom wall, the place Father dries his vests on a nylon line. Under the line, set high in the brick, the old ventilator. A rectangular jali. From inside it is only air. From outside, if a restless son is willing to be the kind of man he will hate in the morning, it is a frame.

I should have gone back down.

I went to the vests.

The nylon line touched my hair. I crouched. The jali was a grid of little dark squares and then, suddenly, yellow. Her lamp. Their lamp. A slice of the room I had stood in an hour ago, Father’s chair empty, the bed not empty.

They had not reached the ugly part yet.

They were still at the beginning, and the beginning was worse, because it was tender.

She sat on the edge of the bed in the gown, shawl already gone. He stood between her knees like a man who has been invited and still cannot believe the furniture. The packet was open beside her hip, a mess of foil and black polythene, the bottle upright like a small joke. She was not looking at the things. She was looking at his mouth.

He said something I did not catch. She laughed. That laugh. The one from the café window. The one I am not supposed to hear through brick.

“Shh,” she whispered, delighted, frightened. “Ghar aahe. Khali—”

“He went up, I think. I heard the stairs.”

She glanced at the door. Not at the jali. Nobody looks at a jali.

Then she pulled him down by the T-shirt and they kissed.

Not the kitchen kiss I had only imagined. This one I saw. Slow first. Her face tipped up, honey and lamp-gold, his hand in her open hair. Her mouth opened under his. I saw the wet flash of it. I saw her smile into the kiss and break it and hide her face in his neck and giggle like the word giggle had no business on a forty-seven-year-old teacher, and then come back for his mouth as if the giggle had been a dare.

He kissed her cheeks. The same cheeks she had put on mine. Then her throat, carefully beside the old mark, and she made a sound that was not quite a moan, not quite a laugh, and pushed at his chest with no strength.

“Vivek. Don’t. He will—”

“He said okay.”

“Okay is not watch.”

They both looked at the door again. Then they laughed, stupid with nerves, forehead to forehead, two people in a room that still had my father’s vests in the cupboard.

She took his hand and put it on her, over the gown, on her breast, and her eyes shut. He said Aparna into her hair. She said aata nako bolu, then kissed him anyway, deeper, her palm at his jaw, the gown slipping off one shoulder. I saw the yellowing mark on the upper swell. I saw his thumb find the nipple through cotton and her mouth fall open on a silent ah. She bit his lower lip to keep the sound in and failed; a small helpless noise came through the jali and onto the terrace and into my mouth like smoke.

“Tickles,” she gasped, giggling again when his stubble scraped the good place under her ear. “Saala— stop— don’t stop—”

He laughed against her skin. Lifted the gown. She raised her arms for him the way she had raised them in a Baner kitchen. The cotton went. Lamp on bare shoulders, bare heavy breasts, the body the gym had sharpened and the house had dressed for decades. She crossed her arms for half a second, shy in her own bedroom, then let them fall because shyness could not survive his looking.

He said something filthy and fond. She slapped his arm, grinning, colour high.

“Don’t say that here.”

“Then where.”

“Not with his name in the same air.”

He kissed the sentence off her mouth.

I held the parapet so I would not hold the jali.

Below me they were still playing. Still at the kissing. Still at the laughing. His shirt came off. Her hands mapped the chest she had only felt under gym light. She hid her face again, giggled into his sternum, said mi according nahi, and he said you called me, and she said my son said I could, and that sentence went through the ventilator like a nail.

She looked toward the door when she said it.

Not toward me.

I was air. I was vests on a line. I was a pair of eyes in a grid.

He eased her back onto the bed that has heard only one man’s sleep for years. She went, hair spreading on her pillow, his pillow, the empty space. He followed on his hands, kissing her smiling mouth, her chin, the marked throat, the valley between her breasts. She threaded her fingers in his hair and pulled him up to giggle into another kiss, nervous, hungry, whispering slow, first only this, let me be a girl for two minutes.

He gave her the two minutes.

I gave them my watching.

The terrace air did not feel fresh anymore. It felt like their lamp. It felt like rubber from a packet I had signed for. It felt like the rest of the night lining up behind a kiss that had already stopped being innocent and had not yet become the thing the cuffs were waiting for.

I did not go down.

I stayed at the jali with the mango leaves moving against my wrist, and I watched my mother laugh under my friend’s mouth in my father’s bed, and I understood, with a clarity that had no use in it, that restlessness had never been about sleep.

It had been about this frame.

This yellow.

This giggling that was about to run out.

The two minutes she had asked for did not survive the third kiss.

From the jali I saw the rest of the clothes go the way clothes go when a room has already decided. His jeans. Her last cotton. They undressed each other without standing up properly, mouths still wet, laughing when a button fought and then not laughing when there was nothing left to fight. She was suddenly all lamp — honey skin, heavy breasts fallen sideways, the gym waist, the dark thatch, the old bruise a ghost on her hip. He was suddenly only a man on my father’s bed, hard, the thing she had named in a Baner kitchen standing against her thigh.

She looked at it and hid her face in his neck and giggled once, helpless, then put her hand on him.

I heard her breath change.

He groaned into her hair. She stroked him the way a shy woman strokes a thing she has already taken twice — curious again, greedy again. Her fist looked small. He kissed her open mouth while she did it, then dropped his head and took her breast.

That sound I already knew. It still went through me.

He sucked like he had been thinking about it through the hug in the passage. The left one first, the one with the fading mark, pulling the nipple out with his lips until it was dark and tight and shining. She arched off the bed, hand still moving on him, the other fist in his hair.

“Ah— Vivek— slow— teeth nako—”

He used teeth anyway, lightly, and she swore into the pillow. He went to the other breast. The wet sounds came up through the jali, obscene and ordinary, a man feeding. Her knees opened. Closed. Opened again.

Then she slid down.

I did not understand what I was seeing for a second. Then I did. Aparna Deshpande on her own bed, hair falling, taking her son’s friend’s cock into her mouth as if the lamp had given her permission.

She sucked badly at first, out of practice, out of nerves, and he laughed a wrecked laugh and said her name like a prayer that had dirt on it. She looked up at him, eyes wet, and tried again, deeper, her hand at the base, and his head fell back. The giggle was gone. Only the wet pull and her small choked breath when she took too much and the way her breasts hung while she worked him.

“Aparna— enough— I’ll—”

She came off him with a string of spit and wiped her mouth with the back of her wrist like a girl and like no girl. Her lips were red. She looked proud and ashamed in equal measure.

That was when he reached for the packet.

I saw the bottle. The seal breaking. The clear gel on his fingers. She was still on her elbows, breathing, watching his hands, not understanding yet.

He picked up the plug.

Dark silicone. The thing that had sat next to our fruit bowl.

Her eyes widened.

“Vivek.”

“Surprise,” he said, and the word was soft, almost shy, which made it worse.

“That— we did— with you. Not that.”

“You asked in the flat. You said the body wants. Tell me no and it goes back in the bag.”

She looked at the door.

She looked at the plug.

She looked at him.

And she nodded.

That was the part that took the floor out from under the terrace. Not the nod only. The ease of it. No speech. No teacher. No I am forty-seven. A quick, frightened, hungry yes, as if some part of her had been waiting for the packet since the bell rang.

“Behenchod,” she whispered, already turning, already knowing how he wanted her. “Slow.”

He put her on her knees.

Doggy on my parents’ bed. Face toward the headboard, toward Father’s empty pillow. Ass toward the lamp, toward the jali, toward me. The shape the tights had always told the truth about — full, split, shining where her mouth and his mouth and her own want had left her wet. He palmed a cheek, spread her, and she made a sound into the mattress.

Lubricant first, cold. She jumped, giggled once despite herself, swore. Then the tapered head of the plug, pressing.

“Breathe.”

“I am breathing, madarchod— ah—”

It went in slower than a cock and somehow more visible. I saw her rim take it. I saw her spine lengthen. I saw her fist the sheet. A long broken moan came out of her, the virgin sound again, disbelieving, as the flare seated and only the flared base was left kissing her.

“It’s in,” he said, almost wondering.

“I know it’s in. Don’t talk. Don’t—”

He tapped the base with a finger and she cried out, muffling it in Father’s pillow.

Then the cuffs.

I thought she would refuse those. A wife. A mother. This bed.

She looked at them over her shoulder, hair in her mouth, plug seated, breasts hanging, and she put her wrists together behind her back herself.

“Not tight,” she said. “And if I say tulsi, you stop. That is the word. Not no. Tulsi. Understand.”

“Understood.”

The padded cuffs clicked. Soft, cheap, enough. Her shoulders opened. She tested them, once, and the testing itself made her breath hitch. He kissed her bound hands, then reached for the blindfold.

“This also?”

A pause. I saw her throat work.

“This also.”

He tied it. The last of her face went away from the lamp and from me — only mouth left, red, open. Blind, cuffed, on her knees, a plug in her ass in the room where she had nursed a fever and counted my homework.

She agreed like it was a timetable.

He moved in front of her, guided her chin, and she opened for him again without eyes, sucking what she could reach, messy now, noises she did not know she was making. His hand in her hair. The other hand reaching back, turning the plug a degree, and her moan around him went through the ventilator and across the vests and into my teeth.

I held the brick.

Below, my mother was a shape I had no language for — teacher, wife, tigress, girl — all of it kneeling on the same sheet, giggling gone, only the wet and the small helpless sounds and the astonishing ease with which she had given him every item I had signed for at our own gate.

He pulled out of her mouth.

Lined up behind her.

The head of him found her cunt while the plug already filled the other place, and she felt the double and shook her head blindly, not no, too much.

“Vivek— both— I can’t—”

“You can. You already said yes to all of it.”

He pushed in.

Her cry was not a giggle. It was a woman taking two fullnesses in her husband’s bed while her son breathed on the other side of a jali. He held her cuffed wrists like a handle and began to fuck her in short, deep strokes, each one making the plug move, each one dragging a sound out of her that she tried to feed to the pillow and could not fully hide.

“Ah— ah— madarchod— slow— don’t you dare slow—”

I watched.

I did not go down.

The surprise was not the act anymore.

The surprise was her.

How easily the woman who had once said I am not wearing those small clothes had put her own wrists together. How easily the mother who had asked me to be careful with condoms had opened her mouth for the man I had hugged in the passage. How easily Aparna had become this kneeling, blind, plugged, moaning thing under a lamp I had known since I was a boy.

On the terrace the December air moved.

In the frame, she pushed back onto him, agreed again with her body, and the bed that had heard only sleep began to hear the rest of the night.

She did not wait for the language.

The question hung, and then she let it hang, and she sat on the edge of the newly made bed as if the flowered guest sheet were ordinary cotton and her nakedness were only weather. Wet hair. Washed skin. The shadow on her throat. She put the useless towel down beside her and patted the space.

“Sit.”

“Maa—”

“Beside me. Still like this. If we put cloth on now we will become cowards again and I will sleep and you will hate the cupboard. Sit, Arun.”

I sat.

The mattress dipped. Her hip was warm against my thigh. December from the window did nothing. I could smell only soap and steam and, under both, the faint animal fact of a body that had been used and scrubbed and was still awake. She looked at her own knees, then at my mouth, then at the shape in my trousers that had not gone down from shame, which is a kind of information.

We talked first. That was her price, or her mercy.

Not love. Sex. The word in this room like a utensil.

She asked what I had seen from wherever I had seen it. I said the jali. She closed her eyes and nodded as if she had already known there was a jali in this house. She asked if I had watched the swallowing. I said yes. She asked if the word daddy was the worst or the plug. I said the ease. She understood that without decoration.

“Your friend fucks well,” she said, almost clinical, almost cruel to both of us. “That is a stupid sentence and it is true. He is young. He listens and then he does not listen. Papa—” she glanced at the cupboard of vests — “Papa used to be that, in a different body. Then shops. Then sleep. Then I became a timetable.”

I stared at the floor.

She turned her face and kissed my cheek.

The same station-kiss as before. Dry. Then not dry. Her mouth stayed a half-second too long against the heat of my skin.

“Let me help you,” she whispered there. “Only this. You cleaned my mess. You are sitting here leaking like a boy and calling it morality. Let me.”

“Maa. Don’t.”

“Then say a different word than don’t. You said okay to him. Say okay to this or go to your room and I will put a saree on and we will never mention the trousers.”

I did not go.

Her hand found me over the cloth first. I made a sound I will hear until I die. She breathed out, a small shaken laugh, and pressed her palm along the length as if measuring a thing she had made and had no right to touch.

“Ohh, beta.” Soft. Wondering. Filthy with fondness. “You’ve been leaking. Look. The cloth is dark. How long. The terrace? The cuffs? When I came out wet?” She rubbed once, slow, and my forehead dropped toward her shoulder and did not land. “Don’t hide. I am already naked. You already saw me drink him. This is smaller than that. This is only a hand.”

She opened the button.

The zip.

The air of my father’s bedroom on my cock.

She pulled me out with both hands as if I might break, and then she did not treat me like I would break. Her fist was warm, soapy, sure. She jerked me the way a woman jerks a man she has decided to be kind to — not gym-tempo, not his tempo, a mother’s tempo gone wrong: attentive, close, watching my face with a frown of concentration that was almost tender.

“This thick,” she murmured. “You hid this in bank shirts. Behenchod, Arun. You have been walking around my kitchen with this. Does it hurt. Tell me.”

“It hurts.”

“Good. No. Not good. I don’t know.” Her thumb spread what I had already leaked over the head and I jerked in her grip. She made a small sound of surprise, pleased. “Leaking again. All this for what. For me sitting like this? For the thought that Vivek had me on this mattress two hours ago? Don’t answer with your mouth. Your cock is answering.”

She stroked faster.

The sitting made it worse. Shoulder to shoulder. Her breast against my arm, heavy, clean, the nipple tight from air. I looked down and saw my own cock in her married hand and the wet of her hair on her chest and I had nowhere decent to put my eyes.

“Come,” she said, not as command, as permission. “On me. Not on the new sheet, I will have to explain flowers to Lata. Here. Beta. Let it go. You have been holding the whole house in your teeth.”

I came like a fall.

No warning I could use. A broken sound against my own fist, which I had shoved in my mouth too late. I spilled on her. First the upper swell of her left breast, a thick stripe. Then the right, the nipple, the valley. A pulse that reached her collarbone. Another that caught the side of her
 
🔥 Read Next Hot Story →
Discover more exclusive stories

AuthorKong

Monster Knight
23
0
2
throat near his old mark. She aimed the last of it up without asking and it striped her cheek, the corner of her mouth, one wet lash on her eyelash.

She sat there painted and laughed.

Not loud. A helpless, incredulous laugh, looking down at her own chest as if a son were a weather that had happened to her.

“Hai ram. Look at you. Look at me.” She laughed again, shook her head, and a drop ran toward her stomach. “Gentleman. And this. Both true. Don’t you dare apologise. If you say sorry I will put it in your mouth.”

I was shaking.

She took my wrist, gently, as if I were the one who might run, and she put my hand on her breast.

On the mess. On her. My palm filled with hot skin and cooling spend. She held it there so I could not pretend it had been only a handjob in the air.

“Keep.” Her voice had gone low. “Feel. That is yours. Not his. Tonight this much is yours. The rest of the map is complicated. This is simple.”

I felt her heartbeat through the slick. The weight. The nipple under my fingers. She breathed in and her chest rose into my hand like it knew the shape.

We sat like that until the laugh left her and only the quiet remained.

Then she stood, still with my white on her, and went back to the bathroom without locking. Water, shorter this time. When she came out she had the towel around her waist only, breasts wiped, cheek wiped, hair twisted up. She looked at the flowered sheet, at my open trousers, at my face.

“Not here,” she said. “This is still his room. Come.”

We went down the dark passage like thieves in our own bungalow. My room. The cold coffee cup still on the desk. I shut the door. She sat on my bed with the towel, then let the towel fall because the talk she wanted would not live under terry-cloth. She pulled my sheet over both our laps, not for decency, for warmth, and her bare shoulder stayed against mine.

The sex talk changed temperature.

This was not the jali. This was a woman telling a son the inventory of a life.

Boyfriends first, before Papa. A boy in Fergusson who kissed her behind the library and put his hand up her first good saree and came in his own pants, and she thought that was love. A lecturer’s son in her last year who took her to a lodge in Camp on a scooter and she bled a little and said nothing to her own mother. An almost-engagement that broke because his people wanted more dowry than her father would speak of. She said the names the way you say old bus routes. Then, quieter, the affair after marriage — not Vivek, earlier, when I was seven or eight and she was still the dancing woman. A co-teacher. Two months. Storeroom. Once his flat. She ended it because I had fever one night and she sat on this same floor and understood she could not have two houses in her body. Father never knew. She made me promise nothing. She only put the fact next to the coffee cup.

Then Papa.

She did not use cruel words for him. That was the strange mercy.

“He used to fuck me like a man who had waited for the wedding night and then could not believe his luck,” she said, eyes on my window. “Not poetry. Hunger. Afternoon, when the shops closed. Sunday before you two woke. He would come home smelling of metal and soap and put me on this bed — that bed — without taking his gold ring off. I liked the ring on my skin. I liked that he said my name. He was heavy. He is still heavy. He would hold my thighs and look at my face, and for years that look was enough. I came for that look. Then the look became sleep. Then I became the woman who packs tiffins. Then a wet tile. Then a gym. Then your friend. That is the whole cheap novel.”

She was quiet.

“He was good,” she added, as if fairness were a god. “In his time he was good. Thick. Slow when I asked. Rough when I asked that also. He liked my breasts from behind while I held the headboard. He liked when I spoke Marathi in his ear. He does not like that anymore because he does not hear it anymore. Do not hate him for the silence. Hate the years, if you need to hate.”

My room held all of it. Fergusson. The lecturer’s son. The storeroom. Father’s ring. Vivek’s plug. My own spend that had been on her face twenty minutes earlier.

She turned her head on my shoulder.

“This,” she said, meaning the hand in the other room, meaning the sheet over our laps, meaning the talk, “is not me making you Papa. And it is not me making you Vivek. I don’t have a name for it. If you want it to stop at a hand and a history, it stops. If you want to sleep, I will go back to the flowered sheet and face the cupboard alone. You have already been more son than I deserved tonight.”

The window was still dark.

Surat was still another city.

Baner was still a bike.

I sat with her naked shoulder against my shirt and her stories cooling in the air, and the house, for a little while, was only this room, and the truth that a gentleman can clean a bed and still come on his mother’s skin, and then listen to how his father used to love her, and not know which of those facts was the one that would keep him awake.

Nobody slept.

The sheet over our laps became a joke. Her shoulder stayed bare against my shirt. The window stayed dark. Surat did not call. Sonam did not send another cake. The house had run out of decent reasons to close its eyes.

She picked at a thread on my bed.

“You watch, right.”

I knew what she meant before the rest arrived.

“Porn.” She said it like poha, like a household word that had been hiding in the cupboard. “Don’t make that face. You are twenty-seven, you have a door that locks, you have a hand. I am sitting here with your taste still in the memory of my skin. Show me the collection.”

“No.”

“Arun.”

“That’s— Maa, that’s not—”

“I have taken your friend in my mouth in the next room. You have come on my face. Now you will be shy about a folder.” She turned, the sheet sliding to her waist, breasts free in the lamp of my childhood. “Please. I want to see what my son’s hunger looks like when it is not looking at me. Then I will know where I stand.”

I said no again.

She asked again. Not teacher. Not queen. Worse. Soft. Beta, dikhav. Ek da. I will not laugh. I will not tell Papa I saw your ugly internet. Please. Her forehead against my shoulder. Her hand on my chest, not going lower, only waiting. The third please had a laugh in it. The fourth did not.

I opened the laptop because a fifth would have been a different kind of cowardice.

The folder was not ugly. It was ordinary and therefore worse. Saved things. A mix I had never had to explain — gym bodies, older women, a few clips I had told myself were only type, the type being a waist and a heavy chest and a mouth that said please. I did not look at her while the first thumbnail lit the screen. She looked at the screen, then at me, and something like recognition passed over her face and did not become a joke.

“Ah,” she said, very quietly. “So that is the collection.”

I played one I thought was safe. It was not safe. A woman on her back, someone’s mouth between her legs, the camera too close. Sound low. My room filled with wet work and a stranger’s moan.

She watched for a minute with her lips parted.

Then her hand went under the sheet.

I saw the sheet move. The small working of her wrist. Her knees opened under cotton. She was still looking at the screen and she was also looking at nothing, eyes going unfocused, two fingers finding herself with no shame left to spend. The wet sound in the video and the wet sound under my sheet were not the same and my body did not care.

“Maa.”

“I am watching. You also watch.” Her breath caught. “She is loud. I was louder. You heard. Don’t pretend this is only them.”

The clip changed. She did not wait for it. She took my wrist under the sheet and put my fingers where hers had been.

Hot. Slick. Shaved only a little, the truth of her in my palm. I made a sound. She made a smaller one.

“Help me, beta.”

Not a performance. A request.

“No actual—” I started.

“No actual.” She nodded against my cheek, already lifting her hips into my hand. “No inside with that. Mouth. Hands. Rubbing. I will not put my son’s cock in the place your father and your friend have been tonight. That line— we keep that line if we keep nothing else. Help me. I am still on. The bath did nothing. The talk did nothing. Help.”

I pulled the sheet off.

She lay back on my bed, naked in the laptop light, one foot on the floor, the other bent, the collection still moaning beside her head. I went down because there was no standing version of this.

Her smell after the second bath was soap and under the soap it was her. I put my mouth on her the way the screen had taught every man and the way no screen had taught me this particular woman. She jerked as if the first lick were electricity. Her hand found my hair — not like his fist, like a mother checking a fever and failing.

“Ah— slowly— there— beta there—”

I used my fingers how she had used them, two, not deep, rubbing the place that made her thighs close on my ears. I sucked. I licked the way she asked when she could still make words, and then she could not make words, only broken Marathi and my name and don’t stop. She came the first time with her heel at my back and her palm over her own mouth, a double-shake, a sound swallowed for the empty hall. I did not stop. She tried to pull away and I held her hip the way I had seen him hold it and she cursed me and opened anyway. The second one took longer and was uglier, better — a full-body seize, her cunt pulsing against my tongue, wet down my chin, her other hand slamming the laptop half-shut so the stranger’s moan died and only hers was left.

She dragged me up by the hair.

Kissed her own taste off my mouth without flinching.

“Your turn. Still no inside. You understand.”

“I understand.”

She pushed me onto my back. Took me out. The laptop threw one last cheap flicker and went black. Only my bedside lamp. She straddled my thighs, not over the place that would have broken the line — lower at first, then she lifted and laid her cunt along the length of my cock and slid.

Not in.

Along.

The wet heat of her split over me, the head rubbing her clit, the shaft trapped between her lips, her weight, her waist in my hands. She slid the way a woman grinds on a doorframe, on a thigh, on a rule. Her breasts hung in my face. I took one in my mouth because she put it there. She braced on the headboard I had had since college and worked herself on me, sliding, sliding, the sound filthy and small.

“See. This is also sex. This is also enough.” Her voice shook. “Your friend goes in. You get this. Don’t you dare say it is nothing. It is taking my brain.”

She lifted off before it became the thing we had banned, and she put her breasts around me.

Soap-clean skin. Heavy. She held them together with both hands and looked at my face while she moved, and the sight of my cock disappearing between the same breasts I had come on an hour earlier pulled a groan out of me that made her smile, tired and wicked.

“Boobs also his. Tonight also yours. Look at me while I do it.”

I looked.

Then she left the breasts and took me in her mouth.

Not the shy first suck she had given him on Father’s bed. She knew my cock now. She had jerked it. She had worn it. She sucked with a purpose that was almost kind, almost greedy, hand at the base, slow, then not slow. I warned her. She made a small negative sound around me and stayed.

I came in her mouth.

She drank it.

I felt the swallow. I felt the second swallow. She came off with wet lips and showed me her tongue like a proof, then shut her mouth and sat back on her heels, naked, throat working, a thin shine at the corner that she wiped with her thumb and, after a pause, licked.

The collection was dark.

My room smelled of us.

She crawled up and lay half on me, hair on my chest, one leg thrown over mine, her cunt still wet against my hip, my cock softening between us, the line uncrossed and everything else crossed.

“No one is sleepy,” she said into my skin.

“No.”

“Good. If we sleep we will wake up as other people.” Her fingers drew something shapeless on my stomach. “You have a mouth I will think about in school. That is a problem for Monday. Tonight it is only the problem of this bed.”

Outside, Aundh had not noticed.

Inside, we breathed like two people who had kept one promise and broken a hundred quieter ones, and the laptop sat shut on the desk with a collection that had already become too small for the room.

She got off the bed to go.

That was the plan her mouth had — back to the flowered sheet, back to being a woman who would face a cupboard alone. She picked up nothing. She walked to my door naked, hair still twisted up, the line of her back still marked by a night that would not end, and I watched her ass move because there was no other religion left in the room.

The gym had made it honest. The plug had made it remember. Each step pulled a heavy, working sway, the split of her, the faint shine still on the inner thigh that my mouth had left. She put her hand on the latch.

Then she turned.

She saw what I had not bothered to hide. I was hard again. Stupid. Obvious. Sitting on my own bed like a boy who had not come twice already.

The latch waited.

A smile arrived on her face that did not belong to coffee or gentlemen.

“Still.”

I said nothing.

She let the latch go. Came back two steps. Turned enough that the lamp took her ass in profile, then full, and she looked over her shoulder like the trial-room curtain had come to my room to finish its work.

“You were watching it walk away.”

“Yes.”

“After the mouth. After the sliding. After I drank you.” She clicked her tongue, fond and filthy. “Greedy madarchod. My son. You want to try something.”

The door was still closed. The house was still empty.

“If you want,” she said, and tapped one cheek with her own palm, a small slap that made the flesh move, “you can have the back.”

The line we had kept — the place Father and Vivek had been — stayed kept. She was offering the other country.

“Teasing,” I said, because if I treated it as a joke I might survive.

“A little.” She came to the bed, put one knee on the mattress, spread herself with two fingers so I had to see the tight dark circle she was naming, still a little used from the plug, still his night, now this offer. “A little not. You cleaned his toy out of me with your ears. You put your mouth on my chut. You want the ass also or you want to be a gentleman until morning. Tell the truth. Your cock already told.”

She teased until the truth was just a sound in my throat.

I took the lubricant from my cupboard — the same bottle, the same crime, moved from their room to mine like a family god. She laughed when she saw it.

“Prepared boy.”

“You put it in my house.”

“Then use it in your house.”

She went down on my bed on her elbows, face toward the pillow I sleep on, ass up, the position of the jali, the position of his round, now mine. I put the gel on my fingers first. On her. She hissed and then pushed back onto the finger like her body had learned a door and wanted it opened again.

“Slow,” she said. “Then brutal. Both. I am not glass. I already proved it to your friend. Now prove you are not only a cleaner and a mouth.”

I pressed in.

The head. The grip. The heat that was narrower than anything the sliding had been. She dropped her forehead to my pillow and swore, long, a string of madarchod and beta and halke that turned into don’t you stop. I went inch by inch until I was seated in my mother’s ass on my own childhood bed and her hand reached back and held my thigh as if I might vanish.

“There,” she whispered. “There you are. My son’s cock in my gand. Say it. Don’t be holy now.”

I could not say it.

She said it for both of us.

“Fuck your mummy’s ass, madarchod. You watched from the terrace like a thief. You signed for the toy. Now earn the watching. Move.”

Slow first. The romantic cruelty. Full, dragging strokes that made her feel every ridge. She moaned into my pillow like the first time on his counter, that virgin-disbelieving sound, and the sound made me want to break the slowness immediately.

Then she asked for the break.

“Aata zada. Brutal. I want to feel you tomorrow in school when I sit on that wooden chair. Use me. I am your friend’s used rani and I am your aai and I am this hole. Behenchod move.”

I moved.

My hips found a rhythm that was not kind. The sound of it filled the small room — skin, wet gel, her broken breath. She abused me in two languages while she took it.

“Yes, son— ah— madarchod son— you like your aai’s gand? You like that your friend opened it and you came second? Cheap boy. My cheap boy. Harder. If you cum too fast I will laugh in your face.”

“Grab,” she gasped, when she could still make orders. “Boobs. Grab them. Pinch. Pull the nipples. I want it to hurt the nice way. And spank. His slaps were polite. Don’t be polite.”

I reached under and filled my hands with her breasts, hanging, heavy, still faintly marked by teeth that were not mine. I pinched. She cried out. I pulled the nipples away from her body and she pushed her ass back onto me as if the pain were a wire connected to the place I was buried. I spanked the other cheek, once, twice, the flesh shaking around my cock, red coming up in the lamp.

“Again. Madarchod again. Mark me where a saree will hide it. School Monday. I will stand at the blackboard with your hand on my ass under the cotton.”

That was when her eyes, half-open, wet, found the wall.

The photograph.

Old. A cheap frame. Me at nineteen, Sonam at fifteen then — no: a later one we had never taken down, Sonam already grown, twenty-one, Holi colour on both our faces, her arm around my neck, my hand at her waist, two children of this woman smiling in a house that had not yet learned the jali. Sonam’s mouth red with colour. The kurti wet. The shape already there if a person had eyes.

Aparna saw it while I was in her.

The laugh that came out of her was wild. Unmothered. A little crazy with cock and night and the empty bungalow.

“Look,” she panted, pointing with her chin because her hands were fists in my sheet. “Look at that while you fuck me. You and your sister. Sweet photo. Sweet beta. You look at her waist in that picture the same extra second you look at mine in the kitchen. Don’t shake your head, I have known since her chest came. You think I am the only filthy one in this family?”

“Maa—”

“Say her name and I’ll stop. No? Then take it.” She slammed back onto me, brutal now, using me. “Your aai’s gand and your sister’s photo on the same wall. What a house. If she saw you now she would die. Or she would watch. I don’t know that girl anymore. Those tits in that Holi kurti — you think I didn’t see you see. Fuck me and look at her. Be honest for once in your respectable life, madarchod. Look at Sonam and come in my ass.”

I looked because she pulled my hair and made the line of my eyes.

The photograph did not move. Sonam smiled forever with colour on her cheek. Below the frame her mother grunted like an animal and told me to pinch harder, to spank the other side, to pull the nipples until she said tulsi, and she did not say tulsi.

Dirty talk ran out of her like sweat.

Son. Madarchod. Aai’s hole. Friend’s sloppy seconds. Sister’s waist. Bank-boy. Terrace-thief. Pi me, fill the back, I already drank the front, give this also. She mixed Marathi when English broke — ghal, zada, mazya gandit, tuza friend nantar tu, family pack. She laughed when I hit a depth that folded her elbows. She swore when I grabbed both breasts and used them as handles. She looked at Sonam’s frozen smile and blew a kiss at the frame, insane, filthy, and said, “Sorry baby, your bhai is busy in your aai.”

I came like that.

Buried. Eyes on a photograph I would never see innocently again. Hands full of my mother’s breasts. Her ass gripping me through the pulse. She felt it and moaned as if the heat itself were a language, and she reached back and held me in so I could not escape the fact.

We stayed locked.

The frame looked at us.

She dropped her cheek to my pillow, still on her elbows, still full of me, and the wildness went down a degree, not away.

“Don’t take it out yet,” she whispered. “Let me feel my son go soft where he had no business being. And don’t you look at that photo like I didn’t say what I said. I said it. I was being a bitch. I was also being accurate. Both.”

The latch of my door was still unpressed.

Her ass was still against my hips.

On the wall, Sonam and I kept smiling in old Holi colour, and the room around the smile was no longer the room in which the picture had been hung.

She collapsed the way a body collapses when it has been used past language.

The tightness around me fluttered and gave. A small, helpless fart escaped her — raw, unladylike, the honest sound of a hole that had been opened and filled and forgotten how to be polite. She made a tiny wounded noise of embarrassment that was already half-asleep, muttered are ram, and then there was nothing. Her arms slid. Her cheek stayed on my pillow. She was out. Mouth open. Hair wrecked. My cock slipping from her as I eased back, a shine on her, a shine on me, the photograph still smiling at a scene it had not been invited to.

I sat on the edge of the bed until my hands remembered they could do ordinary work.

I cleaned her as much as a son can clean without waking a woman who has earned unconsciousness. A warm cloth. The worst of the gel. The inside of her thighs. She did not stir except to frown, like a child moved in a fever. I pulled my sheet up to her shoulder, then the quilt, tucking it the way she used to tuck me when the Aundh rain made the windows loud. I put a water bottle on the side table, cap loosened, within the reach of the hand that was curled under her cheek.

I did not sleep in that bed.

I went to the hall.

The sofa that has heard Father’s news and Sonam’s arguments took my shape. I lay there in a T-shirt and the knowledge that my room now contained my mother, a photograph, and a smell the morning would have to negotiate. The main latch was still locked from when I had locked Vivek out of the house. I stared at the dark dining table where a parcel had sat beside the fruit bowl, and I did not sleep so much as wait in a horizontal position.

Morning arrived like it had not been informed.

First the gate. Sonam’s scooter. The particular clumsy music of her helmet on the hook. She came in smelling of cake and someone else’s perfume, eyeliner wrecked, whispering shit it’s late to herself until she saw me on the sofa and froze.

“You slept here?”

“Couldn’t sleep.”

She squinted. College-girl suspicion, not the truth. “Papa called. His return is evening flight. Aai?”

“Asleep.”

“Lucky.” She yawned, already moving toward her room, already becoming ordinary. “I’m dead. If Aai asks I was at Sneha’s. Which is true. Mostly.”

The bathroom door of my room opened ten minutes later.

Aparna came out in one of my old shirts. I had not given it to her. She had found it. Hair tied. Face washed. The walk was careful and she made it look like stiffness from the gym. She saw Sonam’s helmet, saw me on the sofa, and the woman of the photograph-talk went back inside her skin as if a drawer had closed.

“Tea,” she said.

Tea happened. Poha happened. Sonam ate standing, talking about the birthday, about a boy who had been stupid, about an assignment. Mother said hn and put the plate in the sink and
 

AuthorKong

Monster Knight
23
0
2
don’t take my black dupatta. I sat at the table and drank from a cup that did not shake. When Sonam went to shower, the kitchen became a different room for eight seconds.

“No gym,” she said, not looking at me, stirring sugar that did not need stirring. “From now. I will message him. Rest. School. This house. If I walk into that glass door tomorrow I will not come out as your mother.”

“Okay.”

“Don’t say okay like last night’s okay. This one is simpler.”

“Okay,” I said anyway.

Her phone lit. She typed in the pantry. I did not read it. I heard the particular silence after a message that ends a habit. Then she put the phone face-down next to the cooker, and Sonam came back in a towel turban asking where the hair serum was, and the house performed normal the way a house performs religion — by repetition, by volume, by not looking at the sofa where a son had waited for dawn.

Father’s flight landed after dark. Innova in the porch. Metal smell. Surat stories at the table. She served him two polis and listened. I asked about the dealer. Sonam showed him a photo of the cake. He grunted at all of it, washed his feet, and took the news into their room — the room with the flowered spare sheet she had already changed again in the afternoon, corners perfect, window open, no jali-story left on the ticking.

Their door closed.

I lay in my room. The photograph on the wall was still the photograph. I had not taken it down. Taking it down would have been a confession to the nail.

A little after ten there was a knuckle on my wood.

She came in without the gown this time. Nighted, a cotton nightdress, decent enough that if Sonam opened her door the world would still stand. She shut mine. She did not lock it. She sat on my desk chair, looked at the frame, and exhaled through her nose.

“So,” she said.

I sat on the bed.

“So.”

“Last night I said things about that picture while you were in me.” Her eyes stayed on Holi colour, on Sonam’s smiling mouth, on my old hand at a sister’s waist. “In the morning I thought I would come here and say I was only being a bitch in heat. That would be half true. I was being a bitch in heat. The other half is I have had eyes in this house longer than you have had a lock.”

She was not whispering like shame. She was talking like the coffee night, inventory.

“You look at her.” Not a question. “Not like Vivek looks at me. Not even like you look at me. A sideways look. A second too long when she lifts her hair. When that kurti got wet in that photo you stood in the hall with your ears red and I saw it and I put more colour on her face so I would have something to do with my hands. I did not say anything because saying it would have made it a thing, and she was still becoming a woman and you were still my good boy.”

I stared at the frame because looking at Aparna was harder.

“I don’t—”

“Don’t do the respectable sentence.” She turned the chair, faced me, a small tired smile that was almost kind. “I am not asking you to confess a crime. I am telling you your mother noticed. Last night I used it because I wanted you to come and I wanted to be filthy and the wall gave me a weapon. That was ugly. I can say sorry for using your sister’s face as lubricant. I will not say sorry for seeing what I saw.”

The fan ticked.

“Does she know,” I asked.

“No.” Sharp. The first sharp thing. “And she will not know from me. And she will not know from you. That girl is doing an MBA and stealing my jackets and coming home with cake on her breath. She is not a toy in this room. Last night I was a dog in heat pointing at a photograph. Today I am Aai. Those two women have to live in one body. Help me keep them in separate hours.”

She leaned back, looked at the picture again, and the tease came back — not the wild bed-tease, a thinner, night-time one, the kind that tests whether a door is locked even when it is not.

“She has your mouth,” she said. “Not the shape. The way she hides it when she is guilty. And she has my chest, which is God’s sense of humour. You think I don’t see her in a tight kurti and then see you see it. I tease you now because the house is sleeping and because last night I already crossed every river. If I don’t say it dry, it will sit in the mattress and rot.”

“Don’t.”

“A little.” The smile widened, then softened. “Only talk. I am sore in a place I will not name in front of your school trophies. I did not come here to sit on you. I came because that frame is looking at me like a relative. So we discuss. You tell me if I imagined the extra second. I tell you I did not. We agree Sonam stays a person. We agree I was vicious. We agree you are not innocent. Then I go to my husband’s bed and lie down next to a man who sold pipes in Surat and I will smell of soap and you will look at that photo tomorrow and feel sick and also not take it down. That is the discussion.”

I said, after a long time, “You didn’t imagine it.”

She nodded once, as if a ledger had balanced on a bad number.

“And last night,” I said, “don’t use her like that again.”

“I won’t.” She stood. The nightdress fell straight. At the door she glanced at the frame, then at me, and the last tease was almost gentle, which was worse. “Even if, in some ugly corner, the thought is sitting in both of us. We don’t put it on her. We put it on me, if it has to sit somewhere. I am already the cupboard where this family hides things.”

She opened the door a crack. Hall dark. Their room dark. Sonam’s room a thin line of phone-glow under wood.

“No gym,” she reminded, quietly.

“I know.”

“Good night, Arun.”

“Good night, Maa.”

She went.

I lay down facing the wall that held the picture.

Sonam smiled in pink powder.

I did not take the nail out.

In the other room a tap ran a short time, a bottle cap turned — she had found the water I had left, or she had not, I would never ask — and then the house, which had decided to be normal in the morning, practised being normal in the dark, which is harder, and more honest.

Comfort arrived the way monsoon leaves — not all at once, in a clean sky, but in the sudden knowledge that you can walk through a room without holding your breath.

She left the gym for good.

The message to him was four words. I am not coming. No emoji. No tai. No plate of eggs. Then silence, which in this city is also a message.

I bought iron for the house.

Not Forge. A bench that fit under the mango-side window. Dumbbells Lata walked around as if they were guests. A mat that smelled of new rubber and not of his floor. She trained in the mornings in a long T-shirt and the navy tights, hall door open. I spotted her when the bar asked. Hands on steel. When she sweated she swore at the weight and put the kettle on. That was comfort: the ordinary stacked on top of the unspeakable until the unspeakable learned to sit down at breakfast and keep its mouth shut.

Sonam went to Hyderabad with her institute. Father took Banaras the same week. The bungalow thinned. Two people and a bench and a photograph we had discussed once and then let hang.

Vivek did not thin.

Missed calls stacked like unpaid bills. Trainer-language sliding into man-language. Then the school landline. The peon in the staffroom.

She complained on a Thursday evening at the sink, which is how this family files serious things.

“He is not stopping.”

I put the dumbbell back.

“Why didn’t you let me know earlier.”

She laughed once, without humour.

“Because last time I let you know, a parcel came to this gate.”

I took her phone. He answered on the first ring.

“Come home,” I said. “Now. Not the gym. This house. If you come to the school again I will come to Forge and we will not sit.”

She set three cups. He still took sugar. The body remembers tea after it has forgotten manners.

He arrived dressed like a brother and failed at it. Chappals in the old place. We sat at the dining table. The fruit bowl was empty. I had moved it days ago.

She poured. Steam stood between us like a fourth person with manners.

“What happened,” he said. “What wrong did I do.”

The fan answered first.

“You called the school,” I said.

“That was stupid.”

“That was the last thing. Not the first.”

He opened his empty hands.

“I left badly that night. I know. I should not have left her like that. I told myself she was sleeping. I had a batch. That is a coward’s sentence. Tell me the rest. Tell me what I did that made even the messages a crime.”

Aparna turned her cup, teacher-slow.

“You did not do one wrong thing. You did a chain. You put a parcel on this address. You came into this house when my husband was in Surat. You left marks I had to carry into my son’s car. You left me tied in a bed that is not yours. Then, when I closed the door, you knocked on every number I own. That is the chain.”

His throat moved.

“The tied—” He looked at me. “You went in.”

“You told me she was fine. She was not.”

She did not let the table become only a court.

She looked at her own hands, and then, because this house had already run out of pretty language, she told the part that was not a crime and was still a fire.

“I am not going to sit here and pretend I was only a victim of a landline,” she said. “You asked what you did wrong. First hear what you did that no one else has done to me.”

Vivek went still.

I went still.

“When you lifted me,” she said, and her voice found a heat that tea could not cool. “In the flat. Off the counter. I was in the air and you were still inside me. No floor. No bed. Only your arms and that entering — the way you put me down onto it as if I weighed nothing and the whole of me opened around that one thrust. I have had a husband. I have had years. I have had your floor and your bed and your ugly parcel. I have never had that. The lift. The entering in the air. My stomach left behind and the rest of me full. I thought I would fall. I did not fall. You held me and you went into me like the holding was part of the fuck. I have not forgotten it. I will not pretend I have forgotten it to make this conversation decent.”

The steam between the cups thinned.

I felt my face do something I did not order.

My eyebrows went up.

Not a joke I meant to make. The body’s stupid comment — that is the sentence you put on this dining table, in this house, in front of your son.

Vivek saw the eyebrows.

He looked at me.

For one second the three of us were only that look: her memory hanging in the air, my face answering it like a boy, his eyes asking whether I was angry or hard or both, and whether a man is allowed to be proud of a lift at a table where he is also being told to disappear.

She watched both of us.

The teacher came back into her mouth with a click.

“Beta.”

I blinked.

“Focus.”

The word landed on my forehead more than on my ears. A classroom word. A kitchen word. A word that put my eyebrows back where they belonged and put his pride back in his cup.

Vivek looked down first.

I looked at the wood.

She went on as if she had not just described being entered in the air and then marked her son like a late homework.

“That happened,” she said. “It was amazing. I said it. It does not buy you the school landline. It does not buy you my mornings. You were not bad at the rest. You were good enough that my body still knows the height of your ceiling. That is also true. I will not lie to spare your ego or his ears. Then I wanted the wanting outside my gate. You did not allow the outside. That is what you did wrong.”

He nodded, once.

“And him.” He meant me. “What is he in this now.”

“He is my son,” she said. “He picked me up when I fell. He said okay when I was going to drown, and stop when the drowning reached the peon. You don’t get a cleaner title.”

Vivek laughed, short, no smile.

“I taught her to squat and I lost a family.”

“You lost a door,” I said. “The family is drinking tea. Diwali you can still call him Kaka. Landline again and you don’t come to the gate.”

He looked at her.

“If I stop. Completely. Is there a month later. A year. Anything.”

“No.”

Kind, thin, final.

He sat back. The cup remembered gravity.

“All right.”

We drank. Tea still tasted like tea, which was almost an insult.

At the door he glanced at the bench, the mat, the cheap home Forge.

“Form will go to hell without me.”

“I will live,” she said, and the ghost of the café almost rose, and she killed it.

He pushed his feet into the courtyard’s old place and told me, not her, “I meant the other line that night. Not the leaving. She is rare. Don’t you also leave her tied to a night and walk out for a batch.”

“I won’t.”

The bike took Baner back.

She closed the gate herself.

In the hall she stood with her hand on the iron.

“If he calls the school again.”

“He won’t.”

“If he does.”

“Then I will go to Forge.”

She looked at me. The lift was still in the room somewhere, a height above a counter we could not see. My eyebrows had learned to stay down.

“Come,” she said. “The bar is still on the floor. If we don’t lift something after that tea the tea will sit in the chest.”

We lifted.

She counted under her breath.

When she lost the count once, only once, I saw her mouth remember air and arms and an entering that had left the floor behind.

“Beta,” she said, without looking, and the steel in my hands was suddenly just steel.

“Focus.”

I focused.

The phone on the cupboard stayed dark. Hyderabad and Banaras stayed other cities. The third cup cooled in the sink, and the house, which had heard too much at one table, went back to iron and silence and the kind of peace that is also a debt.

Dinner was thin without Father’s second poli and Sonam’s noise. Khichdi. Kadhi. She ate standing at the counter for a while, then sat. The home bench sat in the dark hall like a guest who had learned manners. The third cup from the afternoon was already washed.

We did not mention the landline.

We did not mention the lift.

We took the plates to the sink and the house became the hour it always becomes when Banaras and Hyderabad are other people’s weather — two people, the television on mute, the clock in the hall doing its cheap work.

She was the one who opened the other door.

“You have not told me,” she said, wiping the same plate twice, “about the girls.”

I laughed because the alternative was to stand up.

“Maa.”

“Don’t Maa me after this week.” She put the plate in the rack and came to the sofa with two glasses of water, as if water would keep the talk from catching fire. “Girlfriend. Sex life. You know mine now in more detail than a doctor. You don’t get to be a locked cupboard. Talk.”

“There isn’t a speech.”

“Then give me the list.”

I gave her the list.

Not because I wanted to. Because she had sat on a dining chair and described being entered in the air in front of the man who had done it, and then told me to focus, and a son who has heard that cannot protect a few college nights like they are temple jewellery.

There had been three, if I was honest, and a fourth that was only a night.

First, Sneha, second year, the one with the scooter and the perfume that stayed in my helmet. We did it for the first time in her aunt’s empty flat in Kothrud, on a mattress on the floor, both of us shaking. I came too fast. She laughed into my neck and said it was all right and then it was not all right because I went soft with shame. Two months. She liked to be on top because she did not trust my weight. She would not let me go down on her for weeks; she said it was dirty. When she finally let me, she came so quietly I thought I had hurt her. She broke it because her mother found an SMS.

Second, a girl from the bank’s probation batch — Nidhi — who knew what she wanted and said it. Hotel near Shivajinagar, twice, her money the second time. She put me on my back and used my mouth like a tool. She liked it from behind with her chest on the bed and her face turned so she could watch us in the wardrobe mirror. She swallowed once, made a face, drank water, said don’t look so proud. She had a boyfriend in Nashik. I was a season. I did not fight to be more.

Third, the one that lasted — Rhea was not her name; I used a name because the real one still sat in my phone under a family of blue ticks. Eight months. She had a small apartment in Aundh, two buildings off our lane, which had made the whole thing feel like a rehearsal for being caught. She liked morning sex before office. She taught me the patience Sneha had not had the words for. She would hold my head between her legs and count, actually count, until she shook. She did not like anal and said so at once. She liked to be told she was pretty and hated to be told she was mine. She ended it in a café because she was moving to Bengaluru and because I had never offered a sentence that sounded like a future. I had not cried. I had paid the bill.

The fourth was a colleague’s cousin at a wedding in December, a store room, standing, her lehenga around her waist, my hand over her mouth. Five minutes. No names worth keeping.

I told her all of it.

Aparna listened the way she listens to a child explaining a fever — without interrupting the first pass.

Then the questions started, some of them almost sweet, some of them with no blouse on.

“The first one. When you went too fast. Did you apologise or did you hide.”

“I hid.”

“Coward. Did she finish at all that night.”

“No.”

She nodded, as if a mark had gone into a register.

“The bank girl. The mirror. You liked watching yourself.”

I felt my ears. “I liked watching her face.”

“Don’t be poetic. You liked the picture. It is all right. The mouth thing — you learned it there or you learned it on the internet.”

“Internet first.”

“I knew. The collection was not shy.” A small smile. Then, bolder, without blinking: “Anyone ever put you in their mouth until you forgot your own name, before me.”

The before me went across the sofa like a hand.

“Nidhi. Once. Not until I forgot.”

“So I am on the list.” She drank water. “Good. Size — don’t look at the mute TV. Did any of them say anything. Too much. Not enough. Be honest.”

“One said I was thick. She said it like a complaint and a compliment together.”

“Which one.”

“The eight months.”

“She was right.” Said like weather. Then, worse: “Did you ever think of someone else while you were inside them.”

I looked at her.

She did not help me.

“Sometimes,” I said.

“Who.”

“Not a name. A… type.”

“Type.” She tasted the word. “Older. Heavier in the chest. A waist that has had a life. Don’t protect me from a type I already saw in your folder.”

I did not deny it.

She asked if I had ever been with two people in a day. No. If I had ever paid. No. If I had ever been in love or only in rooms. Rooms, I said, and then, because the khichdi was sitting wrong, I said I had been fond of the eight months in a way that frightened me because it still was not enough to follow her to Bengaluru.

Aparna was quiet after that one. A mother’s quiet. Then the teacher again, filthy and precise.

“When you go down on a woman, do you do it to be kind or because it makes you hard.”

“Both.”

“With me.”

“You know with you.”

She let that sit. The clock did its cheap work.

I heard my own voice before I had finished deciding to use it.

“Was Vivek really that good.”

It came out flatter than the lift deserved. Flatter than the dining-table confession. A son’s question trying to wear a man’s casualness and failing.

She paused.

Not long. Long enough that I heard the fridge, the dog two lanes away, my own pulse in the wrist that had spotted her bar that morning.

She did not look at the mute television.

She looked at the dark window, as if Baner might be visible if she applied enough memory.

“If I imagine him now,” she said, very evenly, “I’ll go wet.”

No smile.

No beta focus.

The sentence just arrived and sat on the sofa between the two glasses, honest as a stain, and she did not wipe it, and she did not apologise for the body that had said it, and she picked up her water and drank as if thirst were the only decent thing left in the room.



The sentence did not evaporate.

It sat on the sofa between the two glasses and changed the temperature of the hall by a degree you could not blame on the weather.

December in Aundh is a dry cold that comes in under doors. The front grill was locked. Beyond it the tulsi was a black shape, the mango a bigger one, ITI Road reduced to an occasional gear-change. Inside, only the lamp near Father’s chair — yellow, cheap, the same lamp that had watched news and physiotherapy and a parcel. The television faced us on mute: a cook on a
 

AuthorKong

Monster Knight
23
0
2
studio set silently turning paneer, colours washing the tiles and then dying at our feet. The home bench waited in the unlit half of the hall like a piece of honesty nobody wanted to sit on. From the kitchen, a faint leftover of kadhi and dish-soap. The clock on the wall made the small plastic sound it has made since I was in school.

She was in the cotton nightdress she wears when the house is only family — off-white, thin from years of washing, a faded blue flower near the left shoulder. No gown over it. No bindi. Hair taken down after dinner, still holding the bend of the afternoon bun, silver threads catching the lamp when she moved. The cloth had gone a little transparent where her knee lifted on the sofa; the dark of her thigh showed and did not pretend it was an accident. Her feet were bare, one tucked under her, the other on the cold tile, toenails unpainted. The nightdress’s neck sat low enough that when she reached for the glass I saw the inner slope of her breast and the faint remaining ghost of a mouth that was not mine.

I was in an old bank-event T-shirt, grey, stretched at the collar, and black shorts I sleep in. No socks. Gym-calluses on my palms from spotting her that morning. I had not changed after dinner; I had only washed my hands. I sat at the other end of the same sofa, a full cushion between us that was not really a cushion so much as a last piece of furniture doing moral work. My knee pointed at the mute paneer. Hers pointed at me.

The mood was not the 3 a.m. wreck and it was not the dining-table court. It was slower. Full. The particular quiet of two people who have already spent their shock and are now living in the bill. Comfort had a weight. So did the sentence about going wet. Neither of us reached for the remote. Neither of us stood up to pretend the kitchen needed us.

I heard myself swallow.

“You can just say that.”

“I said it.” She turned the glass on her thigh. A ring of water darkened the cotton, a small honest circle. “You asked if he was really that good. I am not going to give you a review like a hotel. I told you the lift at lunch. I told you the body still knows the height of his ceiling. Wet is only the short word. If I sit here and replay his hands at my hips, the way he picked me up as if I were not forty-seven and not your mother — yes. It starts. It starts in the stomach and it goes down. I can feel the nightdress. That is the answer. Don’t ask it again if you want a prettier one.”

The cook on the television plated something with a flourish nobody in this hall heard.

I looked at her mouth. She looked at the dark window.

“Does it make you angry,” she asked.

“Yes.”

“Does it make you other things.”

The shorts did not hide the other things well. I did not cover them. The lamp was too honest and I was too tired of arranging cloth.

“Yes.”

She nodded, almost grateful for the lack of poetry.

“Your eight-month girl,” she said, picking the conversation up as if she had laid it on a side table and not on a live wire. “The one who counted while you used your mouth. Did you love the counting or the shaking.”

“The shaking.”

“And when she left for Bengaluru. Did you go home and open the folder or did you lie on the bed like a decent man.”

“Folder.”

A small breath that was almost a laugh. “At least you don’t lie to your mother about being decent.” The nightdress slipped on her shoulder; she left it. The lamp found the yellowing memory of a bite that had faded to an idea. “Nidhi. The mirror. When you watched her face, did you also watch yourself going into her. Tell the truth.”

“Also myself.”

“Mm.” She drank. The movement lifted her chest under the thin cotton and the mood in the hall tightened another notch, still seated, still talking, the air between the cushions gone warm. “Standing, at the wedding. Hand on her mouth. That is the one that sounds like you when you think no one is listening. Fast. Hidden. A little cruel to yourself. You have that streak. I have seen it in more rooms than a store room.”

Outside, a two-wheeler went down the lane and the dog two houses away made a performance of duty, then stopped.

She put the glass on the floor. Leaned her temple into the sofa back. Looked at me over the empty cushion with her eyes half-lidded, not seduction-cinema, just a woman whose body had told the truth and was now sitting in the consequence.

“If I imagine him,” she said, quieter, as if the mute cook might report us, “it is not even the lift every time. Sometimes it is only the may I before a squat. Sometimes the kitchen. Sometimes the way he said queen at the fridge, which I did not hear and you did, and now I have the sentence without the voice and it still works. That is disgusting and it is accurate. I can stay on this sofa and talk to my son about Sneha’s helmet-perfume and still feel the cloth stick. Both. I am not going to get up and change the nightdress to prove I am civilised.”

I watched the wet ring on her thigh dry at the edges.

“What do you want me to do with that.”

She thought. The clock thought with her.

“Nothing, for a minute,” she said. “Sit. Keep the cushion if it helps you. Let the picture be in the room without us running to the bench or to your bed to kill it. I said I would go wet. I have gone. That is information. You told me four women and a storeroom. That is information. Tonight we are two people on a sofa in an empty bungalow, dressed like we are nobody, and the information is sitting between us like a third glass.”

The nightdress moved with her breathing.

My T-shirt felt too tight at the throat.

The muted television threw another colour across her bare feet and up the faded blue flower at her shoulder, and the mood held — not kind, not cruel, a thick unfinished intimacy that smelled of kadhi and winter and the name she had not needed to say again for the wet to be true.

The cushion between us had given up being furniture. It was only a square of foam the lamp made gold at the edges. The mute cook had been replaced by a silent news ticker crawling under a minister’s face. Neither of us read it. December pressed its face to the grill and stayed outside.

I heard the question leave me as if someone else had borrowed my mouth.

“If you got one entire day.”

She turned her cheek on the sofa-back. The off-white nightdress shifted; the faded blue flower at her shoulder disappeared into shadow and came back.

“One day to do anything erotic,” I said. “Anything. Next morning only you remember. The world forgets. You have… mind control. Teleportation. No school. No peon. No Papa. No consequences that stick to anyone else. What would you do.”

For a long time she watched the ticker as if the minister might offer a syllabus.

Then she laughed, once, quietly, the laugh of a woman who has been given a dangerous toy and has decided not to pretend it is a rolling pin.

“You want the respectable wild or the real one.”

“The real one.”

She sat forward. Elbows on her knees. Hair falling either side of her face. The thin cotton dropped away from her chest and she let it. Bare feet side by side on the cold tile. The wet ring on her thigh had dried; a new one would not have been a surprise.

“Morning,” she said, and her voice found the slow register of someone watching a film inside their own skull. “I wake up in this house and I already have the day in my pocket. I don’t even put a saree on. I teleport the way you change a channel. First I go to Baner. His flat. He is asleep. I don’t knock. I am on him before his eyes open, and I make his mind stay in that first second — the lift, the air, the entering — on a loop, so he is hard before he knows his own name. I use him the way he used me on the counter, only I am the one who decides when the floor exists. I take that hour. I take it properly. When I leave he is still asleep and the day has not started for him.”

The news ticker crawled. A cricket score. A city name.

“Then I come back here,” she said. “You are on this sofa, or in your room, or brushing your teeth like a good bank boy. I don’t ask. For one day I don’t say beta focus. I put my hand on the back of your neck and I tell your mind to stop making ledgers. You remember everything while it is happening and tomorrow you remember nothing, that is the rule, so I can be disgusting without orphaning you. I would have your mouth again. I would have the back again. I would sit on your face in this hall with the grill locked and the tulsi outside and I would not be quiet. I would make you look at me while I say Vivek’s name, and look at you while I say yours, and I would not choose, because the gift of the day is that I do not have to choose.”

My shorts were an embarrassment the lamp did not care about. She glanced down, registered, continued.

“The gym,” she said. “Empty. I teleport the whole ladies’ batch out and I leave the mirrors. I put him on one side of me and you on the other and I make both of you believe, for as long as I want, that this is training. May I. Form. Hands. I get fucked standing up in front of that glass with my tights at my knees and I watch my own face. I have never watched my own face properly. For one day I would. I would watch myself come and I would not look away.”

She swallowed. The nightdress stuck, faintly, where she had told the truth earlier. She did not adjust it.

“If I am being the woman I am when I stop being decent—” she looked at the photograph-direction of my room, though the wall lay between us — “the mind control goes further than men I have already had.”

The hall tightened.

“Sonam is twenty-three. She is in Hyderabad in the real world. In the day that forgets, I bring her home for an hour I will not pretend I have not thought about since I used her picture like a dirty sentence. I do not touch her like a lover. I am not that story, not in my real stomach. I make her see. I sit her in that chair.” She pointed at Father’s chair, empty, yellow-lit. “I make her watch her brother and her mother and the boy from the society steps and I make her understand the house she lives in. Then I send her back to a hostel bed with no memory, only a strange ache she will blame on the AC. That is uglier than sex. That is the part I should not be saying. You asked for the real one.”

I did not speak.

She was not finished.

“Papa,” she said, softer, almost kind, which was worse. “Banaras. I go there only to look. I stand at the foot of his hotel bed and I see the man who used to take me with the ring on. I do not wake him. I do not punish him. I do not perform for him. I only look, so the day contains the whole map, and then I leave. The world forgets. He keeps his temple and his supplier. I keep the looking.”

She rubbed her thumb across her lower lip, thoughtful, aroused, a little afraid of her own inventory.

“Public, also. Because you gave me teleportation and I will not waste it on only bedrooms. A lift in a building on SB Road. A changing room. The back seat of the City in the bank basement with the doors locked and your colleagues walking past the boot. I would have someone in me in a place that has my son’s name on the parking sticker. Tomorrow the world forgets. Today I get the filth of almost being caught without the ruin.”

The clock ticked. The minister on mute opened his mouth like a fish.

She leaned back. One arm along the sofa, toward me, not touching. The cotton climbed her thigh. Her mouth was wet from her own talking.

“Last hour of the day,” she said. “I bring whoever I still want into this hall and I use everything until my body is stupid. Then I sit on this exact sofa in this exact nightdress and I wait for midnight like a girl waiting for exam results. When the day folds, they all go back to their lives clean. You go back to being a man who spots my bar. He goes back to Forge and landlines he will not dial. Sonam goes back to panels. Papa goes back to the ghat. And I—” she placed an open palm on her own stomach, below the nightdress’s thin cloth — “I am the only one who wakes up knowing. Wet. Sore. Alone with a whole day nobody will believe. That is the fantasy. Not a honeymoon. A theft. I steal twenty-four hours from the universe and I pay by remembering it by myself for the rest of my life.”

She turned her head on the sofa and looked at me fully.

The mood in the hall was thick enough to drink. Kadhi in the walls. Winter at the grill. A nightdress that had given up. A son in a stretched grey T-shirt who had asked for the real one and received a map that included his mouth, his friend, his sister’s eyes, his father’s sleep, and a midnight that left only her.

“Your turn,” she whispered. “But not yet. Sit with mine first. Let it be in the room. If I imagine even a piece of it now—”

She did not finish.

She did not need to.

The unfinished sentence and the nightdress and the mute cricket score did the rest of the work, and the cushion between us looked suddenly like a joke the house was too tired to tell.

She had left her day in the hall like a smell.

The mute minister gave way to a silent advertisement for cement. White dust. A smiling family that was not us. The lamp still made a cheap gold of her nightdress, of the faded flower, of the open palm she had forgotten on her own stomach. My T-shirt collar felt like a hand.

“Your turn,” she had said.

I took it because leaving hers alone in the room would have been another kind of cowardice.

“Same rules,” I said. “One day. Tomorrow only I remember. Mind control. Teleport. The world wipes.”

She nodded. Waited. The cushion had stopped pretending.

“I would waste the morning on people who don’t live in this house,” I said. “That is the easy filth. I would take it first so the rest has somewhere to stand.”

The names came out like a folder opening.

“Anushka Sen.” I saw Aparna’s eyebrow move and I did not stop. “Not the cute posters. The grown one. I would drop into a room that looks like a hotel she has never booked and I would make her mind stay on the wanting so she doesn’t do the polite actress smile. I want that face when it is only a face. Clothes off like a decision, not a dance. I would go down on her until she forgets she has a public.”

The news ticker crawled under my sentence.

“Ulka Gupta. Smaller. Sharper mouth. I have had that face in the folder longer than I will admit on a sofa with my mother. In the day I would not make her sweet. I would have her on her knees on a bathroom counter with the mirror fogged and I would make her watch herself take it. Tomorrow she goes back to whatever shoot. Today I get the look.”

Aparna did not tell me to focus. She listened the way she had listened to Sneha’s helmet.

“Tamannaah.” The name filled more of the hall. “That body is already an event. I would not invent a personality for her. I would teleport us to a place with space — a hall, a rehearsal floor, somewhere her dancing has already been — and I would use the waist and the chest and that mouth the way the camera is not allowed to. From behind. Then her on top. Then I would stop being original and just stare. The day is also for staring.”

“Sonarika.” I swallowed. “I don’t even have a clever scene. I have the idea of her voice going. I would make her talk and then I would make her stop talking. That is the whole fantasy and it is not sophisticated and I don’t care.”

I added the etcetera because the folder had an etcetera — other faces the internet had sold me, other bodies I had used like tools when this house was asleep. I did not list every one. The hall already had enough women in it.

She waited for the turn she could smell coming.

The cement family on the television hugged in silence.

“Last part of the day,” I said, and my voice went flatter, uglier, more like the truth. “I would come home.”

Her fingers curled on her stomach.

“I would put you and Sonam in this hall.”

The name landed. Twenty-three. Hyderabad in the real world. Here, in the stolen day, on these tiles.

“Not the chair to watch only. That was your cruelty. Mine is different. I would get ten, maybe fifteen of my friends — school, bank, the boys who have drunk in this courtyard and called you Aunty and looked one extra second when you bent for the diya. I would put the look in their hands. Mind control so nobody plays decent. Nobody becomes a rapist in a way that breaks the rule — they want, you want, she wants, because I have turned the day into that weather. You two. Them. This hall. The grill locked. The tulsi outside like an idiot.”

The clock ticked, stupid.

“I would not always be in it,” I said. “That is the part you asked for when you asked for wild. I would sit where I am sitting now. This sofa. This cushion. This cheap lamp. And I would watch.”

Aparna’s mouth had opened a little. The nightdress was not doing any work.

“Watch them have both of you. You on the dining table where the parcel was. Her on Father’s chair. Then you together, if the day is truly mine — your mouth on her or hers on you, I don’t even know which picture I want more and that is the problem. Friends taking turns. Hands I know from cricket on your waist. A boy who borrowed my calculator in tenth standard standing between my sister’s knees. You looking at me while someone else lifts you, so I can see whether your face does the thing it did when you told me about the air.”

I breathed. The hall smelled of kadhi and winter and the inside of my own skull.

“And I would bring the ones from the collection,” I said. “Not only my friends. Johnny Sins. The other men from those videos. The bodies that don’t look like Pune. I would teleport that into this bungalow like a joke God allowed for twenty-four hours. Those men on you. Those men on Sonam. The same sofa. The same mute TV. Porn lighting on our tiles. I would watch Johnny Sins fuck my mother in the house where she packs poha, and I would watch him fuck my sister on the floor where she leaves her helmet, and I would watch you watch him, and I would watch you watch me watching.”

The minister was back, silently furious about something that was not this.

“I would come from watching before I came from touching,” I said. “That is the ugliest accurate sentence I have. Then I would join, or I would not. The day is allowed to end with me still on this sofa, wrecked from looking, while the two of you are a mess on our own tiles and the rented men and the boys from my class are a crowd this hall was never built for.”

I stared at her bare feet so I would not have to stare at her eyes.

“Midnight,” I said. “Everybody folds. Friends go back to their wives and their shifts and their decent Aunty-voices. The actors go back to the internet. Sonam wakes in Hyderabad with an AC-ache. You wake in your bed. I wake knowing I used my one theft to turn this family into a film set and I sat in the audience like a king and a dog. That is mine. Not a honeymoon either. A theatre. I steal the day to look.”

The lamp hummed.

She sat very still in the off-white cotton, the faded flower, the open throat, the palm on her stomach that had not moved.

Outside, the dog two lanes away barked once and thought better of it.

Inside, my fantasy sat down next to hers, and the sofa, which had already held wet and landlines and four old girlfriends, held this also — Anushka, Ulka, Tamannaah, Sonarika, a dozen boys who knew our gate, a man from a website, a sister in a city that forgets, a mother who does not, and a son who had finally said the last picture out loud.

For a few seconds she only looked at me as if I had opened the wrong cupboard in my own house.

Shock first. It showed in the way her shoulders went back, in the small retreat of her mouth, in the teacher arriving to take attendance of a room that had too many people in it for a hall this size. Johnny Sins on these tiles. Sonam on Father’s chair. Boys who had said Namaste with their shoes in our courtyard. Her. Me on the sofa, watching. I saw her count them. I saw the count fail.

Then the other thing arrived, and it did not wait for permission.

The nightdress told on her before her voice did. Breath gone shallow. The faded blue flower lifting faster. Her thighs, which had been set like a decent woman’s, pressed once and stayed pressed. She laughed, a short disbelieving sound, and immediately put her fingers to her lips as if she could push the laugh back in.

“You—” she started, and had no ending.

She stood up. The cotton fell straight and still hid nothing useful. She walked as far as the mute television, turned, walked back, did not sit. The lamp caught the wet at her lower lashes that was not crying yet, only overload.

“Shocked,” she said, to help herself, to help me. “I am shocked. I asked for the real one and you gave me a film set in my own hall. My daughter. Your friends. Men from the internet who have never eaten in this kitchen. And you on this sofa like God. That is a sick picture, Arun. That is a sick, detailed, living picture.”

Her hand went to her throat, then dropped, then went to the back of the sofa near my shoulder, gripping.

“And I am wet from it,” she said, furious at the accuracy. “Equally. Don’t look away. If you can say Johnny Sins you can hear this. My body did not wait to take a moral position. It heard Sonam’s name and the dining table and the lift you stole from my day and put into yours, and it went. Same cloth sticking. Same stomach. Shock in the head, filth in the nightdress. Both. I will not tidy that up for your guilt.”

She sat, closer than the cushion wanted. Off-white knee against my bare knee. Winter at the grill. Kadhi still in the walls.

Then she started talking about the fantasy as if it were a chapter we had to mark with red pen.

“The actresses first,” she said. “That part is easy. I can live with that. Anushka, Ulka, Tamannaah, Sonarika — those are pictures. Those are the folder. I am not jealous of a folder. I am—” she searched, found a crooked smile — “I am strangely proud, like a fool, that my son’s hunger has taste. Tamannaah I understand. That is a body a person admits. Ulka in a bathroom mirror is specific. You have thought about that more than once. All right. That is a man. I can put that in the same box as Nidhi’s hotel.”

The smile died when she reached the hall.

“The friends,” she said. “That is different. Those boys have drunk water from my steel glasses. I have told them kaka is sleeping, keep the volume down. You want to take the Namaste off them and put their hands on my waist. On her. Ten, fifteen. That number is not passion, Arun, that is a crowd. A crowd in this hall would smell of shoes and deodorant and panic. You did not fantasise a lover. You fantasised an audience that participates. That is why it hit me. Not because it is big. Because it is our gate.”

She looked at Father’s empty chair.

“Sonam.” The name came out careful now, as if Hyderabad might hear. “You heard me put her in a chair to watch. You put her on the floor to be had. Don’t mix the two and call them the same sickness. Mine was cruelty. Yours is… appetite with her face on it. I used her photograph as a sentence while you were in me. You used her whole body as the last act of a stolen day. I am shocked because I created a door and you walked through it carrying fifteen men.”

Her knee pressed harder.

“And still,” she whispered, “when you said you would watch Johnny Sins on me in the house where I pack poha — my chut answered before my motherhood did. That is the part I want to wash and cannot. You watching. Not even doing. Watching me be used by a man who does not know my name, on these tiles, with the tulsi outside. I keep seeing the lamp. I keep seeing your face from where I am lying. That picture is going to sit in me. I am angry at you for giving it. I am angry at me for keeping it.”

She rubbed her palm once, slowly, along her own thigh, over the cotton, not hiding the purpose, not finishing it.

“You said you would come from looking before touching. That is the sentence of a boy who stood at a jali. That is the sentence of a man who signed for a parcel and then tucked corners. I believe you. That is what makes me horny and what makes me want to slap you. You have made yourself the audience of your own house. Tomorrow, in the rules, you forget. Tonight you will not. Neither will I.”

The news ticker crawled. Something about rain in another state.

She turned her face to mine. Close enough that the nightdress and the old T-shirt were only cloth.

“If that day were real,” she said, very low, “do you know which piece I would hate in the morning and which piece I would replay. I would hate the crowd. I would hate your friends’ mouths saying Aunty while they did the opposite. I would hate that I put Sonam in your head deep enough for this. I would replay you on this sofa. I would replay the watching. I would replay being lifted by a stranger’s porn body in my own hall with my son’s eyes on me like a hand. That replay would ruin school days. I am telling you before you apologise, because if you apologise I will have to pretend I am only shocked, and I am not only shocked.”

Her forehead touched my shoulder, brief, burning.

“You have a filthy mind,” she said into the stretched grey cotton. “It matches the house now. Don’t you dare be proud. Don’t you dare be ashamed either. Sit. Let your film set stay in the air. If I move against this sofa a certain way I will finish from talk alone, and I will not forgive the mute television if it sees that.”

She did not move that certain way.

Not yet.

She stayed knee to knee with me in the cheap gold lamp, equally appalled, equally open-legged under the cotton if anyone had been allowed to check, talking about my stolen day as if it were already a memory only the two of us would keep, which, in the only world that mattered tonight, it already was.

I will write the rest of this as adults only. I am not going to put Sonam in 9th standard into anyone’s mouth or anyone’s bed — that part I will not write. In this house she stays twenty-three.

She wiped her fingers on my stomach, through what I had already left there, and the dirt in her voice came on like a second lamp.

“You think this talk is an accident.” Her eyes were bright, ugly, fond. “When I am hot and wet I get this kick — abuse. Names. Beta. Madarchod. The cheap words. I gave you that kick tonight on purpose. If you don’t like it, say, and I will go back to focus.”

“I like it.”

The three words sat on the wet sofa like a signature.

Her mouth curved.

“Apni mummy chodega, beta.”

Not a question that wanted no. A question that wanted the yes in the hips.

I did not give her a speech. She took my cock in her fist anyway, already knowing the answer from the way it jumped.

“Don’t worry,” she murmured, rubbing the head through her, smearing us together, heat on heat, the line we had kept turning into a joke the body told. “You did not come from this chut. C-section. A cut here—” she dragged my other hand to the low, faded smile of the scar under the softness of her belly — “so you can stop making a temple out of the hole. It is a hole. It wants. Say it.”

“It wants.”

She laughed, low, and pulled me.

The sofa took my weight. Her nightdress was already on the floor; there was only skin, only the scar, only her knees opening around my waist as if the hall had always been for this. She rubbed me along her slit until I was shining with her, until the head caught and both of us stopped breathing, and then she pulled my ass with both hands and I went in.

Hot. Tight. Not a fantasy. A married woman on her own sofa, taking her son, and saying so.

“Haan. Chod. Apni aai ko chod.” Her mouth found mine, wet, open, teeth. Kissing like argument. “Bol na. Mummy ki chut kaisi hai.”

“Garam.”

“Only garam? Madarchod, I opened it for you and you give me weather.” She bit my lower lip. “Move.”

I moved.

The hall took the sound — the slow wet slap, the sofa’s old complaint, her breath breaking on my name and on beta and on worse. We kissed through it. We talked through it. There was no quiet version.

My hands went where she put them. She grabbed my wrists and planted my palms on her breasts.

“Grab. These fed you from a bottle after the cut, not from here, don’t get poetic. Pinch.” I pinched. She hissed and lifted into it. “Pull the nipples. Harder. If you are gentle I will think you are still spotting the bar.”

I pulled. The peaks stretched, darkened. She swore and clenched around me and her nails went down my back.

“Spank later. Now fuck. Deeper. The sofa can hear. The tulsi can hear. Papa is in Banaras counting temples and his son is in my chut. Say it.”

“I’m in you.”

“In your mummy. Full sentence.”

I gave her the full sentence against her mouth and she swallowed it and laughed and then the laugh turned into a moan when I changed the angle. Her leg climbed my back. The lamp made a yellow animal of us.

Dirty talk ran out of her in two languages, the kick she had named, feeding itself.

“Chod, beta. Use the hole that did not give birth to you and still raised you. Thick — your eight-month girl was right. Nidhi’s mirror should see this. Your folder should see this. Ah— there— don’t you dare go soft because I said aai.”

I kissed the word off her tongue. I pinched again because she arched when I did. I took a nipple between finger and thumb and rolled it until her eyes wet and she said more, and more was the only syllabus left.

She put her mouth at my ear for the next cruelty.

Not a child. Not a classroom year I will not touch.

“Your sister is a grown woman,” she panted. “Twenty-three. You have looked. I have seen you look. If you need a filthy picture to bury yourself, use that — use her as she is now, not as a story I will not tell. Fuck me and think of the woman in Hyderabad if your cock needs a second face. I am sick for saying it. I am also close. Don’t stop.”

The surprise still hit. Not the sentence I would not let her make. The fact that she would aim my eyes at Sonam at all while I was inside her. My rhythm broke; she locked her heels and dragged it back.

“Focus,” she snapped, and then ruined the classroom word by moaning after it. “Here. Me. This chut. The other picture is only spice. I am the meal. Chod. Kiss. Pinch. Talk.”

So we talked.

I told her she was tight. She told me I was a thief. I told her the sofa was finished as furniture. She told me I had already had ass and mouth and breasts and now I had the last country on the list. I pulled her nipples and she pulled my hair. We kissed with open eyes like a dare. Sweat collected in the scar I had touched. The mute television threw light across her throat.

When I started to pull out — habit, the lecture I had given her about condoms in another life — her legs became a lock and her hands became a command on my ass.

“Inside.”

“Maa—”

“Cum inside me.” No giggle. No café. A woman on the edge of her own hall, shaking. “Dalkar rakh. The place your body was formed. Not the door you came out of — the room you were made in. Fill that. I want it leaking when I stand up to wash a glass. Come. Beta. Now.”

I came like a fall that had been waiting since the wet tile.

Buried. Her name in my teeth. Her nails in my back. The pulse going into the heat that had built me and had just taken me. She held my hips through every jerk so I could not donate it to the cushion, and she came after me, or with me, a clenched broken ah into my neck, milking what I had already given.

We stayed stacked.

The lamp hummed.

Outside, Aundh did not know.

Inside she kept me there with her heels and her scar against my stomach and her mouth at my ear, not saying sorry, only breathing, only dirty-fond, only,

“Guilt-free is a lie. This is better than guilt-free. This is inside. Don’t pull out until you are nobody.”

I did not pull out.

The nightdress stayed on the floor.

The list — ass, mouth, boobs, and now the rest — sat in the hall with us, wet, finished, and not finished, the way every line in this house had sat since the first okay.

The End.

(This story continues…)

If you liked this, leave a comment. These stories take time, imagination, and a lot of effort to write — value that.

Happy reading. Happy jerking. Happy fucking.
 
🔥 Read Next Hot Story →
Discover more exclusive stories
Top